Chaplin in New Shoes- ABC In Concert, 1975

Watch and share videos from youtube

Chaplin in New Shoes- ABC In Concert, 1975

Postby craigdobbins » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:36 am

Just saw this on YouTube:

"Chaplin in New Shoes" from ABC In Concert, c. 1975. A "live" album was released of this show, which also featured Jerry Reed. You can see Chet's and Jerry's amps at about the 1:00 mark, behind Chet. Jerry's Peavey Session 400 is on the left. Also, Paul Yandell on rhythm guitar is visible at around 1:47. Great stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWj_oSTtER8

craigdobbins

Re: Chaplin in New Shoes- ABC In Concert, 1975

Postby Richard Hudson » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:42 am

Indeed. That magical thumb.
Richard Hudson

Re: Chaplin in New Shoes- ABC In Concert, 1975

Postby Doug Working » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:20 pm

Craig thank-you for posting that rare clip. What a treasure! In fact, every Chet performance clip is a treasure. I taped probably dozens off TV years ago on VHS tape, and I be-mourn the fact that they were lost in my having to move quickly out of my house after my bankruptcy. 

A couple that I remember are one on the Mike Douglas show where he played "Bojangles" and spoke frankly about his cancer, which he referred to as "The Big C".

Another one I recall was him on a show the name of which escapes me playing "Zorba The Greek".

I also remember one with Ralph Emery where he did "Yakety Axe". And I taped a plethora of others.  I'd give anything to have those video tapes back and be able to see those treasures again. Which is inspiring me in the near future to post some thoughts that have been rattling around in my brain concerning the centralization and preservation of Chet performance clips, if anybody here is also interested in preserving Chet's memory for future generations  to come.

Anyway, I'm going to change the direction of this post and say that the album where Chet first did this tune ("For The Good Times And Other Country Moods") was an album that I absolutely WORE OUT back in the days when I was stationed as a lonely Serviceman in S. Dakota. With the echoey "Snowbird" and the other great tunes on that album, I would have to say that the album contained some  of the most amazing improvisations that I ever heard Chet do. It was just incredible what he could do with a basic melody! 

Craig, if you ever do some Chet tabs, the tunes on that album should be a prime target!

However, the clip you posted is another "kill the camera man!" clip! I'd give my right eye if someone could PLEASE tell me what it is with camera operators that almost without fail they seem to have it in for guitar players! The reason I say that is they are EXPERTS in taking the camera off the left hand just when Chet gets to the tricky fingering that I want to see how it's done. Arrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!
Doug Working

Return to Video Files