Just sharing a lesson on BB&B

Watch and share videos from youtube

Just sharing a lesson on BB&B

Postby Pickin Palmer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:11 pm

When I first got into this Chet music fairly seriously (17 years ago or so) I took weekly lessons from Terry Efaw for about a year and a half. I video taped almost all of those lessons with this low res video camera - which were a bear to play back - but, I did manage to learn quite a few "Chet tricks" from him. Then, I found I could learn from CAAS, tabs, YouBoob, etc and just continued to enjoy Terry when he played around Columbus, Ohio.

One of Chet's tunes that was too advanced for me (at the time - and, STILL), Baubles Bangles and Beads, he has down really good. (And, has a really nice backing track to play along with him - not in the video.) Soooo, after many years of just enjoying his playing I "employed" him, today, to come over to the house and attempt to teach me how he does it - on my Super Chet that I bought from JD Norman's daughter after he passed last year. I recorded it on an Apple "whatever" - which was MUCH easier to use and playback.

Well, it turns out I'm not going to be able to play these dang harmonics anytime soon - sooooo, I thought may I would share that video I took today with any other "low level" players out here in Chet Land that might be wondering how it's played... Give it a look... http://youtu.be/3x0nC7h3F04

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Re: Just sharing a lesson on BB&B

Postby RonBloor » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:05 pm

Wow, great harmonics and a super job of showing how!! but alas... beyond my skill level.
Thanks for posting Palmer :)
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby awykle » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:02 am

Palmer, Thanks so much for posting this with Terry! He has long deserved more recognition for his enormous talent! Thanks for sharing!
awykle

Postby DagerRande » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:51 am

That was really nice! I remember reading about Terry many years ago as the winner of a Chet contest in Knoxville, I believe. Audie, didn't you say he was a friend of yours?

By the way Audie, I'm going to give you a call very soon. I'm making a trip near your area and would like to get together with you to work a few things out. Stay tuned! I tried emailing but it was returned. You may have changed it.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Pickin Palmer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:09 am

Yes, Ron - that's why it's out here - I can't do it, either....

He sure does deserve more attention, Audie. I'll try to remember to put that little Apple "thing" in my pocket when I go to see him play (at Gallo's Kitchen, 2820 Nottingham Rd, Columbus · (614) 754-8176 on Weds evenings for those of you close to here - really good Italian food) and take more clips of his playing to share out here. He doesn't get to play his Chet stuff much anymore - until I come in. Oh, he has a few other "older" fans who show up every now and then, also. But, his newer jazzier stuff is much more practiced than Levy Walking, Dark Eyes, Jitter Bug Waltz, etc.... Next time I'll get a close up of that first prototype Super Chet he still plays that Chet gave him for winning that Chet pickin' contest back in the early 70s....

KOP,

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby awykle » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:09 am

That would be great Palmer! Yes Rande, I've known Terry for 40 plus years. (can that be right?) He is an amazing guitarist and I'm proud to call him my friend. It's good to see him get some exposure here. Hey, let me know for sure when you're coming and we'll get together. Maybe even go see Terry if it works out. Talk to you soon!
awykle

Return to Video Files