my 1995 silverjet

Watch and share videos from youtube

my 1995 silverjet

Postby woody hill » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:05 pm

I've noticed that you never see a gretsch on e-bay for sale that has been signed by Chet Atkins. I just happen to have one and now that my years are in "the yellow leaf" I'm thinking about selling it. Chet was really sick the day he signed mine and I was reluctant to ask him. However, I took my pick-guard off and Mark Pritcher took in to Chet and he signed it. I had an acrylic piece cut and shaped to cover it and it looks as good as the day Chet signed it. I've taken very good care of this guitar and it even makes me sound like my hero sometimes I think. Woody Hill
woody hill

Re: my 1995 silverjet

Postby DagerRande » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:17 pm

Woody, I also have a guitar that Chet signed. In fact, I have a very valuable (to me) 8 x 10 photo of he and I standing together with that guitar right after he signed it. However, I've done NOTHING about protecting that signature and I've been concerned about it. This was in July of 1988 and here we are 25 years later. The guitar is the Ovation "Country Artist" nylon string electric hollow body with the body joining the neck at the 14th fret.
I'm told that Jerry also played one of these upon occasion. I'm wondering how I should protect this signature? I've been very lucky so far.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby PhilHunt » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:25 am

I have Jerry Reed's signature on my Baldwin signed "Jerry Reed The Claw" in the worst spots, the lower left bout where your arm goes over the guitar. At first I thought, "It was signed with a sharpie, it won't rub off." But then, it actually did start to fade a little. I managed to find some clear contact film and just stick it to the guitar to protect the signature. Certain finishes will accept a sharpie and stay on the guitar forever and some will wipe right off over time.
I even had Chet sign my old '64 Country Gent in gold, that looked really nice especially with all the gold hardware on it. But, stupid me...I sold that guitar.
Woody, if I were you....keep it. You'll regret it later that you sold it.
PhilHunt

Postby woody hill » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi guys, glad to hear from you. well, Chet actually signed two other guitars for me and used them to trade up to acquiring my silverjet. One of them I had Chet to sign in a dumb place and I placed a frame-like bracket over it with clear plastic. It worked pretty well. Phil, you were there that day Mark Pritcher took my pick- guard in for Chet to sign.
The piece of acrylic I had shaped just like my pick-guard has worked great! It was signed with a sharpie also. Later Merle Haggard signed just to the left and above and I told him to bae careful and not smudge that other signature. He laughed; He's a big fan of Chet too. You're probably right Phil; I'll be sorry but I need the money for a very important project right now. I have Chets signature on several pictures I've been fortunate to have taken with him and a lot of good memories. Loved to hear from both you guys. Woody
woody hill

Return to Video Files