It feels allot like Christmas

Watch and share videos from youtube

It feels allot like Christmas

Postby prototypeguitar » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:06 pm

"Christmas in Paris"
It has a great feel to it for a Christmas song. Did Chet do this one or is this an original not sure...?
Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21MYn3diz1E
prototypeguitar

Re: It feels allot like Christmas

Postby thenorm » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:24 pm

His playing ability was never the question.

To respond to the original post... No, Chet did not "do this one"

Alnd al songs are "original's to somebody sometime.
thenorm

Postby kentwkistler » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:35 pm

WOW!!!! This is as important as the end of World War II. A David Paul video actually allowed on the Chetboard!!! Surely, there is some mistake. I remember two or three years ago I simply MENTIONED his name in a post and within hours an execution squad was breaking down my door. Hopefully, saner heads are now prevailing. K E N T
kentwkistler

Postby BillB » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:50 pm

The original poster said, "Did Chet do this one or is this an original not sure...?"

Yeah right. Like you didn't know...
BillB

Postby pick-o-mime » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:36 pm

Got no beef with his playing...just his delusional self-hype which totally lacks integrity or moral/ethical grounding. He has decent studio product, where he can 'punch-in' as many times as necessary to get a line right. Ain't no shame in that...everybody does it (everybody). If you look at his live Tubes he would fall somewhere in the middle of the herd of CAAS attendees and porch pickers who frequent this forum. He's ok...he just ain't no 'Maestro' (as he claims). And he is either mentally challenged or just plain delusional if he thinks he deserves to title an album "There's Only One, *name here*". I give him a 6 out of 10 for the music and a kick in the ass for being stupid. LOL!
pick-o-mime

Postby cgprnd » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:07 pm

I just had to comment on the post telling us that "everybody" punches in as many times as necessary to get a line right. I remember talking to the guy who owned the studio where Buster Jones recorded his "Live At Five" album and he told me that he pretty much played those songs straight through that afternoon and the album was made in just a few hours, including all of the post processing such as mixing, etc.

I also believe that some people's "as many times as necessary" are fewer than others. That becomes fairly obvious when watching them perform live. I've seen Chet make minor mistakes once in a while, but only one or so every few songs. I also watched intently one afternoon at CAAS in 2009 while John McLellan was promoting his then newest book and was playing some of the songs from it nearly perfectly. I'm sure you all know what it's like to have heard Chet's albums and remember some mind blowing lick in a particular song and watching very carefully as a performer is approaching that point, only to be disappointed because they didn't quite make it. Well for those of you who remember Chet's version of "Music To Watch Girls By" with that ridiculously long flowing ending, I was holding my breath as John approached it and he flew right through it perfectly! I believe that anyone who can do this live for a crowd is quite capable, with a lot of run-throughs right before pushing the "record" button, of playing with zero punch-ins. But I understood the point being made that "the man with the blue guitar" had that capability at his disposal.

Rande
Rande Dager
cgprnd

Postby pick-o-mime » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:03 pm

Rande, You've made the distinction yourself. Buster's 'Live at Five' was a 'live' session. Of course there were no 'punch-ins'. When 'anyone' works on a slick studio full production 'everybody' takes advantage of the ability to punch in. That's why they are 'slick' productions. You work on it till you get it perfect.

Need I remind you that Chet would take master tapes home to his basement studio where he could 'punch-in' without distractions? He was great, but I seriously doubt he was often satisfied with his first take. I would think he 'punched-in' till he was satisfied that it was up to his standards. Multi-track 'production' is not the same as 'live'. Whether it takes one take or 10 to get it right is not an issue. You do it till it's right. Some are better at it than others...and they keep getting work. Time is, after all, money.

ps- And, of course, there are occasions when a first take is excellent. When Mac Gayden recorded the slide solo on J.J. Cale's 'Crazy Momma' he hit the ceiling when the producer wouldn't let him do a second take. In the end, though, it pretty much made a good tune damn near perfect. He got over it. ;)
pick-o-mime

Postby tyguy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:24 pm

Punching in or just taping it over,'til you get it right is the reason I don't believe what I see or what I hear on you-tube(mistakes and emotionless playing are there to view forever)or any video or audio recording anymore.I recall during my days of trying to play classical guitar,how difficult it was for me to get thru a piece,without a mistake(with classical guitar you understand why you play everything at a snails pace for a long time).I could sort'a play about five virtuoso classical pieces and if I played them thru for hours or days I'd probably get lucky and get thru one or two without a mistake but,if I taped it(w/no mistakes),I would be lying as much to myself as to others.The main reason players were so mistake free back in Chet's day('50's and '60's)is that studio time was expensive and therefore players got it right the first or second time or were replaced. The Best, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby thenorm » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:30 am

Even today...

Performer goes on the road. Hires a band.

He/She has no time to fool around waiting for a guitar player to find himself or get it right. It ain't the guitar player's name on the side of the bus.

We're very forgiving playing with 'the boys' or down at the rec hall but the singer is usually who they've come to see and them that make mistakes hurt the whole production.

They may be tired of playing some of those songs but they try to make it look like they'r doing improv... You're seeing
rehearsed guys that don't make mistakes.

When it's what you do for a living the whole music thing changes...
thenorm

Return to Video Files