A tune for Craig

Watch and share videos from youtube

A tune for Craig

Postby keener » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:55 pm

I've been meaning to write a tune for my buddy Craig Dobbins but just can't get in the mood to pick. So, Craig, here is a formerly undedicated tune that I am giving to you. Some of the licks came from tinkering with your tabbing of Honkin'. Enjoy (I hope):

http://youtu.be/z_cSWH4YilQ

BTW, I notice 2 people have down-voted this video (recorded last year), and it is not my intention to give Craig a tune that nobody likes. That said, I do hope you enjoy it Craig and that fellow Chetboarders do too.

Bruce

PS I'm done dedicating tunes.
keener

Re: A tune for Craig

Postby craigdobbins » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks Bruce, I enjoyed that. Don't worry about those down-votes- some folks make a hobby out of doing that.

Craig

P.S. That doesn't sound like Honkin' to me- sounds more like Picky by Bruce Keener.
craigdobbins

Postby keener » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:52 pm

Glad you liked it Craig. I very much appreciate you and all you do to promote the memory and music of Chet, Jerry, and Paul.

I almost had a tune written for you one evening last week, kinda based on Foggy Bottom, but just can't seem to make myself pick this week, so I'm glad you tolerated me going ino the time machine for a tune.

My best,
Bruce
keener

Postby Harold Payne » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:43 pm

I enjoyed the tune very much Bruce and your thoughtfulness in dedicating it to Craig. I still marvel at how the fingers of your left hand seem to work so independently of each other and the stretches that create such wonderful chords and melody. Keep the videos coming. Harold "Buzz" Payne, Birmingham, Al.
Harold Payne

Postby keener » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:18 pm

Very nice of you to say, Harold.

Best wishes
Bruce
keener

Postby DagerRande » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:58 pm

Bruce, that was full of a lot of little tidbits from Jerry's music. It's a special gift to be able to pull from an accumulated "bag of tricks" and put something together of your own. We've all listened to Chet at Jerry for a long time but putting together something of our own using what we've heard requires a deep perception and creative ability.

thanks,
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby keener » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:22 pm

Rande,

I very much appreciate your kind words and your friendship.

This was, in my mind, the perfect one of my tunes for me to dedicate to Craig because it was primarily inspired by a lick I learned from his tabbing of Honkin' (I'm too lazy to find the book and give it's title ... it's around here somewhere ... it's one of Craig's books on Jerry). Craig has gone out of his way, for years, to learn all the intricacies of Jerry's playing and to make them available to us. It's been on my mind for a long time to dedicate a tune to him, but I just never got around to it.

Just a little lesson learned too late in life: while I learned the strike/claw from Craig, Richard Smith drilled it into me in a Skype lesson in which he showed me how to play Jerry's part of All I Ever Need Is You. Bottom line is you don't Really learn a lick until you practice the hell out of it.

Anyway, thanks again.
Bruce
keener

Return to Video Files