Tributes to Jerry Reed, Tommy Jones

Watch and share videos from youtube

Tributes to Jerry Reed, Tommy Jones

Postby keener » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:33 am

Another anniversary of the passing of Jerry Reed Hubbard is upon us, being either Saturday or Sunday, depending on which camp you're in (I am in the Sept 1 camp, since that's what his NYT obit said). So I thought this tribute to Jerry that I did a few years ago might be timely:

http://youtu.be/KZnETaekBBo

Also, Tommy Jones passed in early September (I don't recall the exact day), and here is a tribute I did for him:

http://youtu.be/Uy8UjEB7DuY

Both of these incredibly talented, amazing men loved Chet and all three have impacted us in ways that no amount of tribute can express.
Last edited by keener on Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keener

Re: Tributes to Jerry Reed, Tommy Jones

Postby Art Sims » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:16 pm

Bruce,
I especially liked that second one. Alternate tunings aren’t something I've had much interest in pursuing but that piece sounds really nice. Also, your ability to stretch with your fingers is interesting. When I try stretches like those that I see in your playing my hands suffer from the effort. It’s intriguing to see how comfortable you seem to be with them. I enjoy your videos.
Art Sims
Art Sims

Postby keener » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:48 pm

Thank you, Art. Any "comfort" you see was of course obtained by first experiencing the discomfort ... a lot.
:-)
Thanks again,
Bruce
keener

Postby Roger Pratt » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:47 pm

Bruce as you probably know I am your biggest fan, (maybe literally)...LOL I find that I don't revisit your tunes often enough. Thanks for the trip down memory lane and for remembering 2 of the very best with your impeccable take on their great styles. You are a gem my friend!
Roger Pratt

Postby rhudson » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Very nice on both counts, Bruce. I like it when we have the inspiration to pay tribute to our heroes.
rhudson

Postby keener » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:17 pm

Thank you, fellas.
Roger, the encouragement you've given me, since Day 1, is hugely appreciated.
keener

Postby Ray Bohlken » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:04 pm

Bruce, this was great and very "Jerryesque" and your tone was great, too. I enjoyed it. I also liked the Tommy Jones tribute and I saw a couple of links to Tommy's videos off to the side and I visited those, too. It was great to see and hear him. Thanks for the post.
I hope you're doing well.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby keener » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:04 pm

Ray,

Thank you much. I'm glad you mentioned the links on the side. I followed through on several and, several layers deep, found his rendering of Yesterday:

http://youtu.be/Mttf03hXj5g

I spent a lot of time trying to find this a couple of months ago. I had seen it before, had saved it to my YouTube favorites, but it disappeared from my faves. Seems like his stuff is disappearing from the web (?). Anyway, I'm delighted I got to see it again tonight. Absolute perfection, so beautifully and heartfully performed.

Bruce
keener

Postby Tony Enamel » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:25 am

Tommy Jones died September 4th, 2002.

http://www.misterguitar.us/news/jonesdies.html

Regards,

Ingo
If it ain't got the groove, the bodies won't move.
Tony Enamel

Postby BillB » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:03 am

Real nice playing on those songs. I'm always amazed by your hands and how your fingers flow so effortlessly.
Great stuff!

Bill B.
BillB

Next

Return to Video Files