NEW JERRY REED TV CLIP....Jerry playing Struttin'!!!!!!!!

Watch and share videos from youtube

Re: NEW JERRY REED TV CLIP....Jerry playing Struttin'!!!!!!!

Postby craigdobbins » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:54 am

Thanks for posting, Phil. One of my favorite Jerry clips. I've had a fuzzy VHS copy for about 20 years (thanks to Sonny Thomas), but this video is great quality.

John, I had the same experience when I met with Jerry for The Guitar Style of Jerry Reed- he wanted to hear me play the tunes. After I stumbled through Swingin' '69, he grinned and said "Son! I need to learn that one again!" Great memories.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby Len R » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks for posting this, Phil, what a treat to see Jerry playing Struttin' !!

Finger style history, for sure.

Regards,

Len
Len R

Postby GlenHines » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Phil - Thanks so much for posting that clip. What a rare gem. I thought all of Jerry's clips had been posted, and thanks to you here's another one! Terrific!
Glen Hines
GlenHines

Postby Tony Enamel » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:32 am

Thx, Phil!
Great playing and even greater song!

There's no blasphemy intended, but when I listen to it, it feels like I'm more drawn to contemporary versions from Tommy E. or Richard Smith. They seem to have more drive. Maybe it's about different listening habits nowadays.

But, hey: Jerry's the one who wrote and invented it all, so all praise to him! Without Jerry there wouldn't be any funk in fingerstyle. And something like his his live version of "Jerry's Breakdown" with Chet is still the ultimate one.

My 2 cents,

Ingo
If it ain't got the groove, the bodies won't move.
Tony Enamel

Postby the-ocean87 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:07 pm

Tony Enamel wrote:There's no blasphemy intended, but when I listen to it, it feels like I'm more drawn to contemporary versions from Tommy E. or Richard Smith. They seem to have more drive. Maybe it's about different listening habits nowadays.

Absolute bullshit. No one beat Jerry when he was in his prime. Richard Smith is way overrated. He plays everything to fast with no feeling and doesn't have his own style (copies Chet note for note) . Never liked his playing. Tommy E. is a way better player. He has and individual style.

The only player who came close to Jerry and was (in a technical way) better than Jerry is Buster B. Jones. He had speed, groove and feeling. And he wrote fantastic solo-pieces. RIP
the-ocean87

Postby Tony Enamel » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:13 pm

the-ocean87 wrote:Absolute bullshit.

Thank you very much for your kind remark, the-ocean87.

Regards,

Ingo
If it ain't got the groove, the bodies won't move.
Tony Enamel

Postby RandeDager » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:00 pm

Hi Ocean87,

I could be way off but let me guess. You live near the ocean and were born in 1987, making you about 25? I remember my experiences with
guys that age when I lived in California. The social boundaries are quite different throughout the generations. If I'm wrong about you, then there must be another reason that we all got to see what we saw in your post?
Last edited by RandeDager on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby the-ocean87 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:52 am

RandeDager wrote:Hi Ocean87,

I could be way off but let me guess. You live near the ocean and were born in 1987, making you about 25? I remember my experiences with
guys that age when I lived in California. The social boundaries are quite different throughout the generations. If I'm wrong about you, then there must be another reason when were all got to see what we saw in your post?

Hi Rande!

I'm not from America and my social background is very good. What makes you think that 87 is my year of birth? It could be the year of my wedding, first concert, chet visit or the year I got my first guitar. Whatever...

What is the problem with my post? I didn't mean to hurt anybody in this forum. It's just the oppinion I have on Richard's playing (though he seems to be a nice guy). I'm not a fan of players who just cover tunes note-for-note and speed them up to hell. So that's my opinion, as a guitar player myself.
the-ocean87

Postby RandeDager » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:02 am

Hi Ocean87,

Knowing that you're from another country helps me to understand you a little better. Nothing was wrong with the CONTENT of your post but just your DELIVERY and the way you presented yourself. Once you start off with an insult, then what you have to say beyond that point tends not to be very well received by the listener. However, assuming that English isn't your first language, you may not feel that what you said was as severe as it appeared. You are correct. The number 87 could mean a lot of things. Maybe you ARE 87 or maybe you own a collection of 87 guitars. I shouldn't have assumed anything. I'm glad that you are passionate.

take care,
Rande
RandeDager

Postby rhirvine » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Thanks! I really enjoyed it. Then I watched Richard Smith's and Tommy Emmanuel's versions. Jerry Reed sure was an original.

Rich IRvine
rhirvine

PreviousNext

Return to Video Files