Farther Along

Watch and share videos from youtube

Farther Along

Postby keener » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:39 pm

One of my favorite spiritual tunes. I added some original material to the front of it. My style in playing it is heavily inspired by Tommy Jones and Chet Atkins (i also have a YouTube of this done on my Gretsch that is more Chet-like.) The tuning is 6th string = D, 3rd string = F#. all other strings unaltered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1sXfebio6s

Now I'll stop flooding y'all with videos for a while ... had to get it out of my system. Time now to change strings, a process I dread and have already put off for a couple of weeks (and will probably put off for a couple more).
keener

Re: Farther Along

Postby Terry Tolley » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:55 pm

Bruce, I change strings once every 5 years whether they need it or not! I like to splurge when it comes to my guitars!
Terry Tolley

Postby keener » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:17 pm

Same with me, Terry! :D
keener

Postby RonBloor » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:54 am

I had to change three sets in an hour last night at a guitar class!!! Yes, they were nylons!!! Steel strings practically change themselves.. Nylons :roll:
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby Richard Hudson » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:31 am

Bruce, that was really nice. I could hear the Tommy Jones influence. Tommy was such a great player. There is so much beautiful music in these old hymns. If we will just take a little time to analyze the music and explore the possibilities, and you did that very well with this grand old hymn.
Richard Hudson

Postby keener » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:35 pm

Ron,
If I changed 3 sets of nylon strings in an hour, I'd probably have to see a shrink. (Probably should see one anyway, but that's another story. :) )

Richard,
Thank you very much. Chet's LP of Back Home Hymns is my favorite album of all time. I've read that Tommy also had a CD of gospel music, but I haven't come across it yet (I'll search Amazon and Mel Bay and CD Baby for it shortly). I should spend some time on several of the old hymns. Thanks again,

Bruce
keener

Postby RandeDager » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:58 pm

Bruce, that was a nice arrangement and I agree with you about incorporating elements of Tommy's "feeling". I also really liked your harmonic technique. That seems to even be getting better and it was never bad in the first place!
Rande
RandeDager

Postby keener » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:17 pm

Thank you much, Rande. I think I still have a long way to go with harmonics: (1) I don't know very many patterns yet, and especially lack in knowing some good jazz harmonics patterns and (2) I do not practice harmonics anywhere near enough. I 'm trying to use them more often, which will hopefully make me more proficient, but I'm also trying to avoid using them so much that they loose their appeal, their "element of surprise."

Thanks again
Bruce
keener

Return to Video Files