Chasing Rhythms "Original" - New Lap Tap song! Feedback plea

Watch and share videos from youtube

Chasing Rhythms "Original" - New Lap Tap song! Feedback plea

Postby chrisbrandsborg » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:19 pm

Hello! Check out my new song, "Chasing Rhythms".
The song is played in FACFCF tuning, and the tuning and the technique is inspired by Erik Mongrain (my favourite guitarist).

Sorry for the bad audio quality! My microphone is broken, so I just used the microphone on my videocamera (which sucks), but I'm gonna upload a better version soon (when I have bought a new microphone).

Don't forget to Subscribe to my channel if you like my music!
The more subscribers I get, the more songs I will compose!

Thank you very much!

- Chris

Link to "Chasing Rhythms":

~ Never Give Up, There's Always Hope ~
http://www.youtube.com/chrisbrandsborg
chrisbrandsborg

Re: Chasing Rhythms "Original" - New Lap Tap song! Feedback

Postby Norm » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:51 pm

Well, it's pretty, but personally I'm of a generation that likes songs to have a melody and a beginning, a middle and an end. This is, after all a "Chetboard" geared to Chet Akins' music and most of his repritoire tunes had melodies, 'beginnings, middles and ends.

I have freinds that play this kind of stuff you're doing (but not in that exact tapping style)...I call it "cloud music" because it is (to me) not linear enough to get involved in.

It is pretty. But it's just not a kind of thing I'd buy... or play...

Good luck with it...
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby chrisbrandsborg » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:59 pm

Norm wrote:Well, it's pretty, but personally I'm of a generation that likes songs to have a melody and a beginning, a middle and an end. This is, after all a "Chetboard" geared to Chet Akins' music and most of his repritoire tunes had melodies, 'beginnings, middles and ends.

I have freinds that play this kind of stuff you're doing (but not in that exact tapping style)...I call it "cloud music" because it is (to me) not linear enough to get involved in.

Good luck with it...

I understand that you not like that style, but It has a beginning, it has a middle, and it also has an end! And there is a melody in it! But I know everyone can't "like" this style....
chrisbrandsborg

Postby chrisbrandsborg » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:59 pm

Norm wrote:Well, it's pretty, but personally I'm of a generation that likes songs to have a melody and a beginning, a middle and an end. This is, after all a "Chetboard" geared to Chet Akins' music and most of his repritoire tunes had melodies, 'beginnings, middles and ends.

Good luck with it...

I understand that you not like that style, but It has a beginning, it has a middle, and it also has an end! And there is a melody in it! But I know everyone can't "like" this style....
chrisbrandsborg

Postby Norm » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:50 pm

Remember...I didn't say it was bad...it is pretty but just not to my personal taste. It's different but still pleasant.

There are some forms of music a really don't like at all. Yours is not in that category. Yours is pleasant and well played.

I've seen videos of people playing tap style on double neck guitars and doing it impressively but to me it's just an interesting novelty.

I've also seen guys do something similar to yours (tap style plus percussion) that sound abusive to my ears.

You're doing fine and by your own admission just getting started on this. Keep at it.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby chrisbrandsborg » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:08 am

Norm wrote:Remember...I didn't say it was bad...it is pretty but just not to my personal taste. It's different but still pleasant.

There are some forms of music a really don't like at all. Yours is not in that category. Yours is pleasant and well played.

I've seen videos of people playing tap style on double neck guitars and doing it impressively but to me it's just an interesting novelty.

I've also seen guys do something similar to yours (tap style plus percussion) that sound abusive to my ears.

You're doing fine and by your own admission just getting started on this. Keep at it.

Okay, thanks! :)

I'm inspirated by Erik Mongrain :
chrisbrandsborg

Postby RonBloor » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:03 pm

I find it interesting how music evolves. I was thinking about how some music uses dissonant sounds. These were sometimes called the "devil in music", which is a term I discovered not long ago. Tunes like Borsalino feature this technique to make them interesting and different. This technique has been around since before the time of Bach!! Tapping has also been around for some time.. Wasn't Jimmy Webster a guitar tapper way back? Chet played with a progressive young fellow that was a guitar tapper and must have appreciated his talent. I can't think of his name right now (Stanley something). There is a youtube video of them playing together.
Anyway, music, like everything in life is subjective (eye/ear of the beholder)... Music challenges our brain to evolve... My brain is resisting, but I still like the challenge, so I applaud your efforts Chris.. well done.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby Roger Pratt » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:34 pm

Chris........At least you are creating your own thing and not just copying someone else. You are not going to please everyone so don't try for that. Do what makes you feel good and always play your music. I admire your creativeness and hooray for your efforts.
Roger Pratt

Postby Vidar Lund » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:52 am

Ron, that´s Stanley Jordan. Here´s Stanley and Chet playing "Sweet Georgia Brown":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHp7l4Z_kBw
Vidar Lund

Postby chrisbrandsborg » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:17 pm

RonBloor wrote:I find it interesting how music evolves. I was thinking about how some music uses dissonant sounds. These were sometimes called the "devil in music", which is a term I discovered not long ago. Tunes like Borsalino feature this technique to make them interesting and different. This technique has been around since before the time of Bach!! Tapping has also been around for some time.. Wasn't Jimmy Webster a guitar tapper way back? Chet played with a progressive young fellow that was a guitar tapper and must have appreciated his talent. I can't think of his name right now (Stanley something). There is a youtube video of them playing together.
Anyway, music, like everything in life is subjective (eye/ear of the beholder)... Music challenges our brain to evolve... My brain is resisting, but I still like the challenge, so I applaud your efforts Chris.. well done.

Thank you very much for the nice comment! :-) Music evolves all the time, Like you said! I wonder what the next "guitar-technique" will be! I bet it will be SICK! :D
chrisbrandsborg

Next

Return to Video Files