Gallopin'

Watch and share videos from youtube

Gallopin'

Postby LMark » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:56 pm

This may be the best guitar video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrs9rnIkb3k

I love it when Paul grins at Chet about halfway through. I think it's because Mark keeps speeding up, but that's just a guess.
LMark

Re: Gallopin'

Postby Richard Hudson » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:04 am

As Paul said, and as this video points out, Chet played the gallopin' lick with the thumbpick and one finger. I have seen that video before. Three giant musicians with Chet clearly in control.
Richard Hudson

Postby thenorm » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:40 pm

Paul grins at Chet about halfway through..."

I think he's just thoroughly enjoying the song and really likes Mark's solo. That song made it's bones partly through Jethro Burn's wonderful contribution and Mark O'Connor's input is nigh on brilliant and very reminiscent of Jethro's Django-esque delivery.

At one point after the aforementioned 'grin' Chet appears to say something as Mark plays and to my hard-of-hearing lipreading instincts it looks like he's saying "All riiight".

That's quite a duet when you figure Mark is primarily considered a fiddler.

That's how it looks to me.
thenorm

Postby Terry McArthur » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:56 am

Thanks for the tip on this video.
I never new Mark played guitar at all. It's a keeper for sure.
Terry McArthur

Postby Tom Keller » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:20 pm

One of my favorite acoustic guitar albums is Mark's Markology album. This is a flatpicking album and his technique is incredible. I just remembered, Mark took 1st place guitar at the Winfield guitar championships when he was 13.

Tom
Tom Keller

Postby LMark » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:07 pm

Jack, your guess is as good as mine, probably better! Mark
LMark

Postby thenorm » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:57 pm

I agree with Jack and my earlier post on this says essentiallly that. I went back and listened to it trying to see if a speedup was in effect but it all sounded straight on to me. Paul's forte was rhythym and he would have kept it straight.

I'll say again, that's a heckuva duet. The amazing thing is they probably just ran through it once or twice before showtime and, as things sometimes happen, the 'on air' version was possibly far better than the rehearsals. Paul and Chet have played that song often onstage but they are are clearly delighted by Mark's contribution.
thenorm

Postby LMark » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:26 pm

Yeah, Norm, you and Jack are more likely on the right track. Mark
LMark

Postby Paul Yandell » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:27 pm

When we did that I was playing the Super Chet prototype I had put bass strings on it, Mark was new in Nashville and as always Chet helped him get started it was a lot of fun that night, thanks paul y
Paul Yandell

Return to Video Files