Who was this guitarist ?

Watch and share videos from youtube

Re: Who was this guitarist ?

Postby Oddsteven » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:01 pm

We should start a thread on third party stories about Chet. . . the best, most obvious fake ones.

A fellow my dad worked with claimed that Chet only sounded good was because he played thorugh all "them filters" in the studio... That's the type of guy that you just can't argue sense with.
Steve Cowles
Oddsteven

Postby Richard Hudson » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:21 pm

My favorite is "I know a guy that has a guitar that once was owned by Chet Atkins."
Richard Hudson

Postby RandeDager » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:19 pm

Years ago in the 80's when Romania was still a communist country I performed in 12 concerts over 14 nights around the country. The favorite seemed to be "Black Mt. Rag". After the show one couple came up to the stage to give me a bouquet of flowers and wanted to see my equipment. For a couple of songs I was using an MXR P90 (I believe it was called) phase unit, like Jerry used (or sounded like) on "Reedology". Once they laid eyes on my "little orange box", the "mystery" was solved. They had never been exposed to that self-accompaniment style of playing. They assumed that it had all been done electronically. It took them awhile to communicate this to me. Once I figured it out, I knew I'd never be able to explain that it had nothing to do with electronics, so I played a couple of songs for them totally acoustically and they were once again baffled. By the way, I never used the phase unit for "Black Mt. Rag" but they still thought it was responsible for what the thumb was actually doing, until they saw it for themselves up close. I think that with today's media and technology, the style is no longer such a mystery.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby thenorm » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:16 pm

I had a similar thing happne to me at my last place of employ. I had a 'beater' guitar I kept for odd quiet moments when I could play a few.

We'd just hired a new computer tech who evidently led a sheltered life. I was playing some odd piece probably 'Back In The Old Smoky Mountains' or someting like that. He came over an watched my hand very closely. "Whats the matter?" said I.

"Just needed to figure out how you sounded like two guitarists at once."

I think everyone feels that way when they first hear the style but we tend to forget that First Hearing.
thenorm

Postby RandeDager » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:04 pm

Hey Norm,

What was the guy's conclusion as to how you "sounded like two guitars" or was it immediately obvious? In my case it
took a while for these non-English speaking Romanians to communicate to me that they thought my "other guitar track" was due to my "little orange box". Prior to that, it never even dawned on me that anyone would wonder about that. The quickest way to clear it up and transcend the language barrier was to play it for them acoustically. Their "Ah-hah's" and head nodding let me know that I was successful.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby thenorm » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:40 am

He wasn't a guitarist or musician and quickly saw the thumbpick as the 'other' guitarist. It's not rocket science but being able to make muisic at all can seem almost magical to a non-musician.

I'm always mystified about piano players. When you think of all the mechanical frippery of levers and such that goes into making a simple note on a piano it is truly amazing the soul some hands can coax out of that contraption.
thenorm

Postby amdyck » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:21 pm

Gosh, guys, that's a lot of response to my original question. You've given me food for thought on who the guitarist probably was, but I don't think I got an answer for whether or not either man put out an LP of their own. I'm not desperate to know, but it would be nice to know if any exists. Thanks for your thoughts. Alan
amdyck

Postby amdyck » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:47 pm

I just did a Google search on Grady and Hank. Lots of stuff came up. Alan Dyck
amdyck

Previous

Return to Video Files