Rick Allred at CAAS 2011

Watch and share videos from youtube

Rick Allred at CAAS 2011

Postby BobFrye » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Here's a nice video of Rick Allred playing a John Knowles tune, "Subtle Blossom", with the Endless Road Strings. The string arrangement was done by Tina Simpson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKIu9VtgRYY
BobFrye

Re: Rick Allred at CAAS 2011

Postby BillB » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:21 pm

That was real nice! I remember when Tina was trying to get the girls together with Rick to show him the arrangement and see if it would work. It took a while to get him out of the Belmont room. Sure sounded great!

Bill B.
BillB

Postby Richard Hudson » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:39 am

Rick is really a good player. At my first CAAS in 1999, I didn't know anyone and was just walking around trying to find a guitar to play and I found a gold mine in the vendors room. I found one of Broadway Sound's guitars and I was sitting there picking away with my straight pick. I was not a thumb pick user at that time. A couple of guys walked up to listen. They both smiled and I knew they were good guys. After I played a couple of tunes I handed the guitar to the younger guy and he played One Mint Julep. This guy could play. I later found out that it was Rick Allred and I believe, his Dad. It was a few years after that I began to see Rick on the main stage. Very well deserved. He's one of the good guys.
Richard Hudson

Postby John Knowles » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:15 pm

I love what Rick and the Endless Road Strings have done with "Subtle Blossom." Rick played it for me at CAAS last year when we were rehearsing the Hollywood set. Tina heard it and decided to write an arrangement for the quartet. And now Bob Frye, has edited a beautiful video of Rick and ERS performing. I guess it's about time for me to re-learn "Subtle Blossom."

John
John Knowles

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:08 pm

John,
That is a beautiful song and Rick Allred and the Endless Roads Strings added their magical touch to a very nice arrangement. It also made for a nice Bob Frye video presentation.
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby keener » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:11 pm

Rick is an incredible guitarist and an absolute class act. The first time I heard him was about 35 years or so ago, when Wallace Reed gave me a cassette with some of Rick's recordings on it. One of the recordings was Young Thing ... was the first time I'd ever heard it. I was blown away. I played it over and over, wondering to myself "how did that cat do that?" Although I had not heard Chet play it, it sounded just like Chet would play it (and I later found out it was just like Chet ... absolute perfection).
keener

Return to Video Files