Country Gentleman

Watch and share videos from youtube

Country Gentleman

Postby keener » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:47 pm

For my Dad, who would have been 85 years old today. He was a true country gentleman and so much more. Please excuse the bobbles in my playing ... hadn't played in a few weeks, and hadn't played this tune in many years, but I knew I owed it to Dad to do this. Thanks for listening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52EBq3Wu58k
keener

Re: Country Gentleman

Postby LarryD » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:57 pm

Hi Bruce: Very well done. I haven't heard this tune in years. I really like the chords you use!

Larry
LarryD

Postby RandeDager » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:09 pm

Bruce, unlike many of Chet's tunes, it has never been very obvious how to play that song. You seem pretty controlled in your movements. My dad was never into any of this so my tribute to him would have to be a country vocal and I don't sing........lol.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Roger Pratt » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:59 pm

Another fine job of picking Bruce!!
Roger Pratt

Postby Richard Hudson » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:52 am

Bruce, I always admire the way you are able to put your own spin on these classic old tunes. You have a great musical imagination.
Richard Hudson

Postby keener » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Thank you so much fellas. Richard, my special thanks to you ... my Dad would have loved to have seen your comment, because when I was much, much younger, I used to imitate Chet and tried to play every tune exactly like him. Dad is the one who got me to see that I needed to put myself into playing. He said "There is already a Chet Atkins ... if people want to hear someone play like him, they'll just listen to him."

By the way, the CG I'm playing belonged to my Dad. He got it in the very early 70's (or late 60's). He let me play it a lot and I really fell in love with that guitar. I inherited it when he passed away in 2003. To me the guitar is priceless.

Thank you again,
Bruce
keener

Postby Richard Hudson » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Bruce, I think there is a lot to what to what you just said. Trying to play like Chet is admirable. He was the greatest, but there was only one Chet Atkins. No one, regardless of who or how good they are, will ever be able to play just like Chet. My playing is heavily influenced by Chet and his style. There is no doubt about that, and I will admit I try to copy some of his licks sometimes too, but I can't play like Chet. I try to be myself, but Chet's influence is there.

You do a great job, Bruce, and it sounds like your Dad was a special person.
Richard Hudson

Postby keener » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:27 pm

Richard, I know Chet is honored by how you have blended his influence on you with your own unique abilities.

You are a blessing to me, sir. Thank you again for the kind words.

All my best
Bruce
keener

Postby NSM » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:48 pm

I always enjoy the expressiveness in your playing, Bruce - you're a very musical man, I think you really 'get' what music is all about.

Best regards
Neil
NSM

Return to Video Files