Young Thing

Watch and share videos from youtube

Young Thing

Postby Chuck » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:28 pm

Another humble attempt, Young Thing at about 1/2 the pace Chet played it. Looking forward to CAAS it will be our 3rd year, and have enjoyed every minute there. Thanks
Chuck

Re: Young Thing

Postby rhirvine » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:25 pm

Very good! I wish I could play it but think you need two brains to play it. I envy you going to CASS, maybe next year or the year after I'll go there. I'm saving up!

Rich Irvine
rhirvine

Postby Chuck » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:07 pm

Thanks Rich, I learned it watching the dvd everyone has or has seen, "The Guitar of Chet Atkins". I appreciate the comment. And I hope you can make it to CAAS in the near future! Chuck
Chuck

Postby Terry Tolley » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:23 pm

I learned my renditiion of Young Thing back in late 2000. I'm afraid my version was largely by ear with some help from Larry Kuhns on tabbing what I had worked up. Of course, I cannot make those 4-fret stretches that Chet did, so I used a somewhat less than graceful fingering more toward the 1st position which I was able to substitute that sounded similar. I also do the 2nd bridge a bit differently, again due to not being able to do those stretches.
I finally got the video in 2007, but by then my differences were ingrained in my muscle memory. It is a daunting tune, and was one I actually enjoyed learning. Since getting the video, I have also learned Maybelle, done mostly the way Chet did it on the video. I have altered my version to be a mixture of several ways I have seen Chet do it live. As you play Young Thing more and more...your speed will increase naturally - no need to push it....and you WILL continue to amaze anyone who watches you. Well done sir!!
Terry Tolley

Postby Phil Owens » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:32 am

Nice job. Thanks for posting. Really enjoyed it!
Phil Owens

Return to Video Files