A little Chet-style Christmas tune

A place to share your music! Post and view audio links.

A little Chet-style Christmas tune

Postby craigdobbins » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:27 am

Here's the lead-off tune from my Christmas Time CD, "Sand Mountain Sleigh Ride." (It's an instrumental, so it's only a Christmas tune because I say it is.) Sand Mountain is the part of northeast Alabama where both my folks are from, and we still live close by. This tune always reminds me of going to see the relatives "on the mountain."

I used a 1960's Delvecchio that I got from Paul Craft back 15 or so years ago. The verse is sort of Doc Watson style, and the bridge is Chet style. Actually, when I recorded the tune, I didn't have the bridge section, just the chord progression, so what you hear is the first take, just off the top of my head. (Sometimes you get lucky.)

Hope you enjoy!

Craig
Attachments
sandmountain.mp3
(1.71 MiB) Downloaded 820 times
craigdobbins

Re: A little Chet-style Christmas tune

Postby Tom Workman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:31 pm

Nice little tune, Craig! Thanks for sharing it with us. -Tom W.
Tom Workman

Postby craigdobbins » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:01 pm

That was recorded in the fall of '96. Just the DV, a couple of tracks of rhythm guitar, and bass. I wanted to add sleigh bells, but I ran out of tracks on the old 4-track reel to reel. (I also didn't have any sleigh bells.) The guitar was on loan from Paul Craft, but I eventually had to buy it from him, 'cause he wasn't getting it back. ;)

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby GaryL » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:00 pm

I have Craig's CD. This is one of my favorite's on. There are many more.
GaryL
GaryL

Return to Audio files