Precious Memories

A place to share your music! Post and view audio links.

Precious Memories

Postby Richard Hudson » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:54 pm

A few years ago, Duane Eddy and I became friends. Duane has been an inspiration for many of us here on the CB, myself included, of course. Before I ever met him, I knew Duane was a Chet Atkins fan, but I didn't know just how big of a fan he was until we met and began talking about our influences. Included with Chet as the major influence for both of us, we found out that we were both fans of Hank Williams. Duane is a very gentle and humble man and always speaks very respectfully of Chet.

As to this song, Duane recorded it in 1962 and included it on his only strictly country album, Twang A Country Song. This is my own arrangement of a wonderful old hymn, using the style of Duane Eddy predominately. I also use my G&L Legacy and the NC. This is an experiment, and you are welcome to download if you wish.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to listen to Precious Memories.

https://app.box.com/s/e7v1ylkegzodks4l7ie7
Richard Hudson

Re: Precious Memories

Postby Terry Tolley » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:19 pm

A great job on the performance and a great job on the arrangement! It is a song that is meant to move one emotionally, and your rendition easily does that!
Terry Tolley

Postby Richard Hudson » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:52 am

Terry, thank you for taking the time to listen and comment, and also thanks to all the others who have listened. Arranging the old hymns is one of my favorite things to do. The Duane Eddy style seemed to fit that one.
Richard Hudson

Postby DagerRande » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:50 am

That was nice, Richard. Ironically, even though Chet has always been my "superhero" I never heard of Chet until 1962. I was listening to Duane on the radio ("Rebel Rouser") in the late 50's I believe. I never heard "Chet's influence" on any of his recordings and never knew he was a fan until he started showing up at the conventions. It's funny how my estimation of a guitarist always improves when I find out that they are a Chet fan! They don't have to play like him but it tells me that they listen to a lot of fine detail, which to me is very important,
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Spadaro Paolo » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:29 pm

Great !!!!!
Beautiful sound and beautiful arrangement Mr. Hudson.........

Ciao, PAOLO SPADARO.
Spadaro Paolo

Postby Richard Hudson » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:23 pm

Rande, long before I met Duane I had read that he counted Chet as his major influence on guitar. Doyle Dykes was the one that told me about Duane's finger picking. I never knew he could do that until Doyle told me and then later when I met Duane, we sat down and played together and the first thing he did was to play I Am A Pilgrim, and he played it very well too. I really like Duane as a person. I think he knows who he is, but he doesn't act like it.

Thank you, Paolo. I appreciate you listening and commenting. I always enjoy listening to your recordings.

Here is Duane fingerpicking Cannonball Rag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8w0B0QCLXg
Last edited by Richard Hudson on Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Hudson

Postby billmoit » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:32 pm

I too got started on guitar by listening to Duane Eddy. The song that made me buy a guitar was Duane's recording of Tammy on the Girls, Girls, Girls album. They were featuring that album on WIBC in Indianapolis in 1960 or so. Chet came along later.

Richard, I really enjoy the music you post. I have stolen (oops borrowed) from your I still miss someone and Railway to Heaven.

Since you know Duane if you every hear of him doing a concert in the US please let us know. I would sure like to see him other than the few times at CAAS in a real concert once before he or I departs.
billmoit

Postby GaryL » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:24 pm

Richard,
Very nice arrangement and tones as always. I enjoyed it again today - first heard it via the Gretsch Pages.
Duane is a great player, gentleman and so respectful of Chet. I've seen him speak about Chet on TV and UTube and this one comes to mind (about 6:15 - 8:30).
Thanks for posting.
GaryL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7i6yCsYBYw
GaryL

Postby Richard Hudson » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:24 am

Gary, thank you for the very nice comment. Also thank you for finding the very nice video of Bill Anderson and all of the stars that spoke so very kindly and respectfully of Chet in trying to recognize what an impact his life, and his music has had on all of us. Duane has told me the story about getting to play on the Grand Ole Opry with Chet many times. You can tell that it really was a highlight, as he said, for him, to get to play on The Grand Ole Opry with his lifelong hero, Chet Atkins. Getting to play a Hank Williams song, I Saw The Light, was just icing on a very memorable night for Duane. He also told me that when Chet was telling he and Doyle what they were going to play, that Chet looked at Duane with a smile and said, "and, we're gonna play it in A, and Duane will play the first chorus."
Richard Hudson

Return to Audio files