Thanks for the Kind Words (Story to Tell) by David Paul

A place to share your music! Post and view audio links.

Thanks for the Kind Words (Story to Tell) by David Paul

Postby BlueGuitar » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:20 pm

Thank you for all of the kind words, in regards to my playing! I have really gotten some very nice emails and it means a great deal to me! I want to tell you a little story, of how I got convinced I was listening to Chet back when I was about ten years old. I heard this song on the radio and said,"This has to be Chet". When I found out it wasn't, I only realized one thing. No matter how good you are, or how tasty your chops are, it all comes back to Chet for style influence and sound!

I'm sure this fooled many people over the years, and perhaps you'll remember this great guitarist as well.

Gregg Galbraith "Mack the Knife"
http://m.friendfeed-media.com/85dd46995 ... cc9d9754fd

Kindest Regards,

David Paul
Last edited by BlueGuitar on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlueGuitar

Re: Thank You for the Kind Words (Story to Tell)

Postby kwarren » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:01 pm

I too thought this was Chet when I first heard it years ago. What a great arrangement by Gregg Galbraith.
Thanks for posting.

Kirk
kwarren

Re: Thanks for the Kind Words (Story to Tell) by David Paul

Postby Norm » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:36 am

Good tone, great thumb but no use of the Bigsby in areas Chet almost always did. Guy Van Dusier puts on his deliberate copys of Chet's tone and he seems to get it all.

There's a lot of good guitar players out there. Some come closer to sounding like Chet than others but I remember once reading that Chet said (I think it was in one of his biographies) that when you were at the top of your game you always worried a bit about who would be coming through the door to blow everyone away. Jerry Reed did that to a degree and the result was a lot of Jerry Reed copying. Lenny Breau was too deeply into jazz for most commercial taste and far above most guitarists abilities.

When you copy someone you'll always be compared to the one you copy which makes you just another good guitar player out there. If you're Chet based, not only do you get compared to Chet but you also get compared to the other Chet wannabes. It becomes a clusterpluck!

I'm still waiting for the next guy (or girl) who makes guitar music a riveting thing to listen to by being both different and, most importantly, tasteful...
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby GaryL » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:17 am

Thanks for posting that song. I've never heard it before. I don't think Chet recorded it - but I don't know everything. Music is so subjective. One person likes one thing and another likes something else. I read somewhere or heard about it that Gregg Galbraith helped Brent Mason along the way. I haven't been able to determine when the arrangement of "Mack the Knife" was released. He's got some great tone and super chops.
GaryL
GaryL

Postby leadmansoph » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:33 pm

First I would like to say I was saddened to hear of the passing of J.J. Cale. I just recently discovered his music on Pandora and enjoyed it very much! What a loss! But he left us much!
Second I would like to Thank David Paul for his kind spirit and willingness to help those who are in need in many ways!
I have checked out your songs on utube and find them superb. Your style definitely contains Chet like playing but yet you have a smooth, easy flowing ability about you! Your posted songs have symmetry and flow with expectations! You make it look easy! Now could you please take us to the next level and get out there and play/record more ! I've seen what you can do! Do it for us ALL! Thanks-Later!

P.S. Leave us much also!
leadmansoph

Return to Audio files