Hello Ma' Baby

A place to share your music! Post and view audio links.

Hello Ma' Baby

Postby Richard Hudson » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:24 pm

This was one of the first Chet songs I ever learned, or I should say half way learned. I was about 13 or so when my Mom bought my first Chet Atkins album for me, Stringin' Along With Chet Atkins. I was just blown away when those first notes of O' By Jingo came through the speakers of my little cheap record player. I'm still blown away every time I hear him play. Chet was the greatest. As I have said so many times before, he has always been my hero and a great role model. He never disappointed me.

This is an old tin pan alley song. One of many that Chet did back in those days. I haven't played this one all the way through in years, but it was time to get it out and dust it off. It brings back a lot of old memories for me. I hope it does for you too.

https://www.box.com/s/u8lfksgvyzm2eqfu0lp0

Thanks,
Richard Hudson

Re: Hello Ma' Baby

Postby MitchC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:30 pm

Very fine playing there Richard! Always enjoy your musical offerings.
MitchC

Postby Terry Tolley » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Wow! That sounds great! I've played a version of this tune that I learned from an old album that taught this tune, Windy and Warm, and one other that escapes me at the moment, but I was wondering how much delay are you using. The setting you have sounds so good that I would like to try it. I've never gotten delay to sound right for me, so I usually end up playing everything dry. It would help me to know a setting that works. I am guessing the guitar you're using is the CGP, because it sounds a bit brighter than the Country Gent. What you're doing captures that sound that Chet made so famous. Thanks for posting.
Terry Tolley

Postby rhudson » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks a lot, Mitch. I really appreciate it.

Terry, it actually is the Nashville Classic through the 25L15 amp that Bud Park built for me. I recorded it dry and added delay and reverb afterwards. The delay is Sonitus, part of my Sonar software. It is set for one repeat at 250 ms. The mix is at 6%, which obviously is very slight. It is really easy to overdo it with delay and reverb. The reverb is Lexicon plate setting, again at a 6% setting.

Paul Yandell was always so much help to me. He gave me a setting for delay one time that was very similar to what I was using anyway, but somewhere in a computer gliche I lost it. But it seems that it was 200ms, but I'm not sure about that. Paul's delay settings were always perfect, I thought. His Going Home album was the most beautiful nylon string tone I have ever heard. I told him that and after he had time to think about it he got back to me and told me the equipment he was using (which he no longer had) including the pre amp. Paul was a master of beautiful tone and of course a master with his playing techniques.
rhudson

Postby GaryL » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:02 pm

Richard,
Great playing and tone!
GaryL
GaryL

Return to Audio files