Chet Atkins Note for Note

A place to share your music! Post and view audio links.

Chet Atkins Note for Note

Postby chromaticbird » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:58 am

Chet's book Note for Note is out of print. The cost to purchase I used one can run you 140.00. I am hoping that someone out there has a copy and will make a copy of their book and send it to me for less than 140.00.
The book has great tunes on there like: Over the Rainbow, The Entertainer, Merrily We Roll Along, Charade.
chromaticbird

Re: Chet Atkins Note for Note

Postby jay » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:23 am

"make a copy of their book and send it to me for less than 140.00"
I am sure Norm will...LOL.

Chromatic, you probably picked the wrong board.
jay kantor
jay

Postby PhilHunt » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:56 am

Just remember that the Note for Note book is exactly that....note for note....it's not tablature...it's notation. I'm surprised this book cost so much...I see it all the time at music stores for sale.
PhilHunt

Postby thenorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:37 am

Don't have that one
thenorm

Postby Terry Tolley » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:54 pm

Have you checked your local library? I have...on occasion - checked out that book to study it. Although it is not tablature, it could be if you use TablEdit or any of the other transcription software packages availble these days. I'm sure you could probably work up a transcription fairly quickly. As I recall, the book does have some performance notes that are very helpful in making the piece sound like Chet's performance from which it was drawn.
Terry Tolley

Re: Chet Atkins Note for Note (John Knowles)

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:03 pm

John Knowles, cgp did the transcriptions for the book. Perhaps John could enlighten you about the availability. Making copies of a copyrighted book could get 'a little sticky', if you know what I mean. As Phil indicated you might still find new-old-stock in some music stores close to the original price.
Check with your local library that might obtain a copy from their sources. That's how I got Chet's biography book for my first reading of it, but they got it from another library way down-state from me. I have since obtained a used copy of the biography from eBay.
There are some good songs in the book "Charade" being a one of them.
Good luck!
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:05 pm

Terry,
Sorry I had not read your post about the library before suggesting it :( Great minds thinking alike :)
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby mattburnside » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:33 pm

I, too, borrowed a copy via Interlibrary Loan. It was, of course, missing the page where "Merrily We Roll Along" was notated.

Be aware that not every song from the record is transcribed (the "Limelight" theme I really missed) and some of the transcriptions seem to be incomplete even when I checked the pagination (notably "Charade").

The tab of "Charade" on Jack Baker's amazing fantastic site is really well done, it's just missing a bunch of spots where Chet leads the downbeat by an 8th note on the melody.
mattburnside

Postby George Beasley » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:55 pm

If you are looking for the arrangement to "Merrily...", that is a John Knowles arrangement, and is available in his FingerStyle Quarterly. Www.JonhKnowles.com
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby John Trahan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:45 pm

George had a slight typo in his link.
Here's the corrected link for Dr. Knowles' site.

http://www.johnknowles.com/
John Trahan

Next

Return to Audio files