Harmony classical values

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Harmony classical values

Postby AngusH » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:24 am

Just to add my two penn'orth to the debate, I picked up a secondhand Clawmaster about 18 months ago and absolutely love it. (Got stung for a small fortune in import duty into the UK, but that's another story...) Mine has a 1 7/8" neck with a slight radius to the fretboard and a pretty low action, making it very playable. It's fitted with an LR Baggs pickup and I play it through a Roland Cube30. Sounds good to me and annoys the hell out of the neighbours.... ;) (I enjoy it so much for my fumbling attempts at Reed-style stuff that I'm hardly touching my Taylor GS - and I'd recommend that to anybody who cared to listen and is after a fantastic steel string.)

But the Clawmaster isn't a Baldwin and I can't find one of those for love nor money....so on an impulse I picked up a 1967 Harmony H173 the other day for the princely sum of $108. I'm awaiting a Prismatone from Sam - some time in the next month or so I'll know if I've created a bargain Baldwin or a monster....fingers crossed ;)
AngusH

Postby BillB » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:51 am

Sounds like you done good on both accounts, Angus! Let us know how the Harmony does once you get the Prismatone installed.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby srgntschultz » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:29 am

Seems to me that everyone is comparing a 95.00 nylon string guitar from harmony from 1970's to todays price of 400.00 like its too much for it? BUt a gretsch in 1969 costed 300.00 and now they fetch in the thousands,even upper thousands,and no one is compalining about that and people are paying that for them. So i really dont think a good solid wood harmony from the 70's for 400.00 isn't bad at all,try and buy a new one today for that price. And everyone wants the old ones!
srgntschultz

Postby mc84 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:23 pm

Thanks for the all the input fellas.

Angus, you are doing what I was trying to accomplish. Find a cheapish baldwin type guitar and maybe put the prismatone pickup in it. To quote you "fumbling attempts at Reed-style stuff" describes my playing. I play like I live, real fast with a lot of mistakes.
mc84

Postby AngusH » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:16 pm

Couldn't agree more. Half the fun is in the mistakes - at least that's what I keep telling myself ;) and as this is a journey with no destination, I'll happily keep on making different ones.... and when I start making 'em on the 'new' guitar, I'll let you know what it sounds like :D
AngusH

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment