IPAD for music applications ?

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: IPAD for music applications ?

Postby BillB » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:12 am

Doug,
I checked out your friend's video, and I have to say that I was very impressed with both his playing and what he was doing with the technology. Really amazing!

Other than that, I'm of no use to those of you trying to figure out the BIAB and iPad stuff.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby RandeDager » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:38 pm

Bill, I would have to disagree with you. I consider you of GREAT use as a friend and enjoyable conversationalist.....lol.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby gitzilla2000 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:26 am

Hi Larry-

The iPad is a great rescource for storing music (real books etc...) It's lot easier than even carrying one real book!

One of my main jobs is playing full time at a mega church in north Atlanta. We are in the process of switching entirely to iPads for our sheet music. Works Fantastic!

My first complaint was size, but you can double the size of the font for each page, there's just twice as many page turns which to me is no biggie, but I've found you get used to the smaller font (ipad screen size vs. standard sheet of paper) real fast.

My second complaint was D.S. 's, coda's, first/second endings etc... but you can store everything in a simply moving forward fashion. So you never have to scroll backwards.

Scrolling was also no problem.

Now for solo fingerstyle/jazz gigs they now offer a footswitch for automatice (hands free) page turns. i believe it's called the B-105 you can see 'em on ebay. I'm getting one.

Obviously you can store music in them if desired. (Backing trax etc...) set lists, lyrics (with or without teleprompt!)

Hope that helps a little!

Tim

http://www.timsguitar.net
gitzilla2000

Postby Larry Lenhart » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:01 pm

Thanks to all who have responded to this post and thanks to gotzilla2000.....that is the kind of info and experience I was looking for. I think I will pursue the ipad idea, but I also have found some music stands made specifically for lap top computers that might fill the bill as well. Thanks again.
Larry Lenhart

Postby multivir » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi Larry,

I recently started in a Top 100 band. First thing I was handed was about 100 pages of music. So I investigated a few things.

Additional Hardware:
As mentioned before, there's "Airturn", a bluetooth footswitch solution that allows you to flip through pages on the iPad. It's about 80 bucks or so. Then there's the iKlip or TheGigEasy, which allows you to attach the iPad to a music stand. I haven't bought these products yet.

PDFs vs. proprietary leadsheet / player solution:
I bought two apps, "iReal B" and "forScore". forScore is a PDF viewer that's just optimized for music use (search function, half page turns etc.) while Real B is a mix between a RealBook (you can find a huge number of jazz standards on their forum for free download) and Band In A Box. The audio style packages cost extra. Haven't bought them yet, as I'm using forScore for this job only & have only played a little with iReal B.

Work involved:
You need to have your music ready as PDFs and label them manually (filenames). I was lucky to have an automatic scanner at the office, so scanning 100+ pages was not an issue. forScore looks really nice and works well so far.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Mathias
multivir

Postby gitzilla2000 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:46 am

Check out the KM ipad holder for mic stands! This is cool! :D

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... atic-clamp
gitzilla2000

Postby RonHaft » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:14 am

Larry, if you just want the chord progression (in any key) there is an i-phone app that accesses several Real Books and displays the chords. Transposes to any key. My teacher uses it regularly. Probably works on i-pad as well. I'm not an i-guy so not sure about that.
RonHaft

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment