Aria AS-101C/SPL

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Aria AS-101C/SPL

Postby emjaybee94 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:33 am

I'm in the market for a cheap electro/classical with a narrow nut fretboard. There are quite a few manufacturers out there with models that fit the bill, but my local music store suggested an Aria AS-101C/SPL. It's a bit radiclal looking but if it sounds and plays OK, I'm all for it ....... I could call it Anna Rexia (poor joke!). Has anybody on the Chetboard tried one yet and if so, what is their opinion?

Have a look at it on:

http://www.ariaguitars.com/english/products/as-100-spl

Regards
Mike
emjaybee94

Re: Aria AS-101C/SPL

Postby Tom Keller » Wed May 25, 2011 4:30 pm

The Ibanez AEG 10E gets my nod for an inexpensive electric classic. You can normally find them on Ebay for 200.00 or less.
Tom Keller

Postby Vidar Lund » Thu May 26, 2011 1:48 pm

Tom, the Ibanez is a good guitar. I used to own one, and it had a fine natural sound when amplified. I can´t imagine how to hold the Aria in a proper playing position. I even have problems holding my very small and narrow Martin Backpacker.
Vidar Lund

Postby emjaybee94 » Sun May 29, 2011 11:56 am

As a postscript to this thread I have now bought the Aria. You're right Victor, it is a bit awkward to handle to first, but it didn't take too long to get into a comfortable position with it. I played it in the shop for over an hour and the only criticism I had was that the action was a little too high for me, but now I have had time to adjust it, it feels fine. I also can't imagine doing a "Tommy" and fine tuning it halfway during a song. With the tuning pegs beyond the bridge, tuning is back to front ..... it does stay in tune well though. I can't really fault the American made SoloEtte pickup, which sounds really good through my Phil Jones Cub. For £300 (about $450) it's a good buy.

I Hope to put a video on UTube sometime this week to show it off.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Regards
Mike
emjaybee94

Return to Guitars and Equipment