Chet's action

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Chet's action

Postby thenorm » Sun May 22, 2011 9:22 am

Over the years we've discussed Chet's action settings and there isn't a whole lot of photographic evidence of it. There is one shot that is in the second Bear Family collection that looks so extrememe it almost looks like a setup.

Paul said it was accurate.

I was going through some pictures Paul sent me and there were a couple he had taken when he was prepping Chet's '59 for its HOF display.

Have a look at the steep slope and high set on that bridge.

Folks, that's a High Action. An action like that, played firmly, will deliver a better tone and was part of Chet's tone.

Another interesting thing I noticed. He was still using the original Bigsby stationary bracket. You can tell because it was pinned to the string bar from the top. I believe Paul said once that it was pinned as opposed to a set screw. Or the first couple may have had set screws put in the top. In any case it's interesting how he kept the Old Original on his '59. According to Paul that is likely his first personal handle he made from which the wire handles were copied.
thenorm

Re: Chet's action

Postby craigdobbins » Sun May 22, 2011 11:00 am

Hi Norm-

Great post. I think Paul sent me that photo too. We've talked about Chet's action before.

That's about how I have the action on my '59 CG. Sonny Thomas measured it and said it was within a couple of thousandths of Chet's, which made me feel good, because I just "eyeballed" it and relied on feel. It doesn't feel too high at all, just more like an acoustic, and you can really dig in on the bass strings. As you can see, the trebles aren't set quite so high.

I'm using a Chet handle from another guitar on my CG. I bent it to a shape that I like better (more like the one in the photo), and cut off a little at the tip. (I did it with a hacksaw and then rethreaded it.)

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby albertgen » Sun May 22, 2011 9:29 pm

That sure is high Norm, most guys would have trouble with that.. A friend of went to go see Merle Travis play at a fair once, and he told me Merle's action was unbelievably high, but he said it rang out like a steel guitar when he played it. Al
albertgen

Postby guitarchuck » Sun May 22, 2011 11:38 pm

Sonny Thomas measured it and said it was within a couple of thousandths of Chet's,

Craig,
Do you happen to know what those measurements are? I would really like to know what the exact measurement were on some of Chet's guitars. This is something that has been discussed here many times, but no one has ever had the exact measurments. Maybe you could get the info from Sonny Thomas for us?
guitarchuck

Postby rhirvine » Mon May 23, 2011 12:50 am

I guess I don't see it, but no matter how much I magnify the image I can't begin to tell the action height. What should I look at in particular. If there was a measurement would it be the e-string height at the 12th fret? Thanks.

Rich Irvined
rhirvine

Postby thenorm » Mon May 23, 2011 1:23 am

I don't think there is a way to accurately determine the gap between string and fret. Suffice to say Chet had a high bass side on his bridges.

You can actually see how he has to press the low e string down on the Alabama Jubilee clip posted earlier in the week.

Over the years I've read where some of our most well known players have preferred a high action. The press for low aciton I think was primarily a selling tool for guitar makers. Jerry Reed was an exception. He liked a low action. Some of the rockers liked a low action but I think if you look into it, most (but not all) of those who play for a living use a higher action than the bedroom pickers.

Chet's string guages were fairly light so it is interesting how it all sorts out. Paul and others have said that one should play with as high an action as they can use and still paly well. This allows you to play more firmly with your right hand and that, in turn, gives you better tone.

Trying to get yours exactly like Chet's doesn't really make sense. He set his to his taste.
You should set yours for your taste.

That's how it looks to me, anyway...
thenorm

Postby Vidar Lund » Mon May 23, 2011 3:03 am

Norm said, "Trying to get yours exactly like Chet's doesn't really make sense. He set his to his taste". A very important fact. Chet played his old Silvertone having an exceptionally high action and thus developed great strength in his hands and fingers and practiced seriously all the time, not just fiddling around a little when feeling like it like many of us, being "bedroom pickers". I´ve found out that after playing a lot I´m able to raise the action and sound better - hopefully. Nothing beats practice.
Vidar Lund

Return to Guitars and Equipment