Studio Classic FOR SALE in UK **ebay**

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Studio Classic FOR SALE in UK **ebay**

Postby PhilHunt » Tue May 17, 2011 10:48 am

PhilHunt

Re: Studio Classic FOR SALE in UK **ebay**

Postby David Elliott » Tue May 17, 2011 12:46 pm

Nice guitar, but I'm not sure wheather the photo of the back of the headstock is an 'optical illusion' or for real. It looks like it's been subjected to some sort of acid, extreme heat, or something else. If it's the way it really is, it could probably be re-done by a competant woodworker, but the buyer should beware! :(

David
David Elliott

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Tue May 17, 2011 4:22 pm

Does anyone have an idea what the import duties would be on an item like this guitar, originally made in the US, shipped from Britain to the US? Once established this might add quite a bit of expense to the price of the guitar unless there is an exception. - Thanks
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby jay » Tue May 17, 2011 7:28 pm

David, that is the problem with pictures, sometimes they make it appear that something is there that isn't.

About 2 years ago, there was a 91 CE on ebay that was stated to be in pristine condition. But the pictures "showed" a different story. The pictures showed a finish that looked as if it had either been re-done (poorly), tons of wear, or there had been water damage to the guitar. The owner (no feedback) claimed to all the questioners that the finish was fine and nothing had been done to it, it just "looked that way"but the way the pictures looked, it just couldn't be. No one bid on it and I bagged it for 650 shipped...thinking the risk was worth a 50.00 buck shipping charge back to him, if it was what it "looked" like.

The guitar was in pristine condition. The case looked brand new. Not sure it had seen much time out of the closet at all. What the pictures were showing was the lightening of the wood filler/sanding sealer Gibson had used at the factory. It is very noticeable on the back. It doesn't affect the finish...which is in pristine condition, but it distracts from the beauty of the wood, but this lightening filler made made the guitar in the pictures look like it had a tremendous cosmetic problem or damage.

ce1.jpg
sanding sealer

ce2.jpg
closeup
jay kantor
jay

Postby guitarchuck » Wed May 18, 2011 12:26 pm

Just wondering who made the deal on the Gibson Chet Atkins Studio guitar? I thought about buying it to resell and make some money on it. It was a great deal. I had actually made an offer and he counter offered, but I waited to late. I should have jumped on that one. Congratulations to whoever got it, that was a great price.
guitarchuck

Postby michael » Wed May 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi Chuck,

it is me, I saw it early this morning and it was such a good price that I hit the "Buy it now" button. I don't have to pay customs and duty because it is EU ( So I got it for US$ 1750 incl. shipping) . I thought that there are some others interested in this guitar, so I had to hurry.

Greetings
Michael
michael

Postby guitarchuck » Wed May 18, 2011 3:07 pm

Good for you Michael ! Let us know how it turns out. Sounded like a great deal to me.
guitarchuck

Postby LarryD » Wed May 18, 2011 3:53 pm

There is no import duty on American Goods being Returned.
LarryD

Postby David Elliott » Wed May 18, 2011 4:46 pm

by LarryD » Wed May 18, 2011 12:53 pm

There is no import duty on American Goods being Returned

I am not positive, but I believe that only applies to items being returned to the United States for repairs / servicing, etc.

Also keep in mind that Michael (Hohdorf) is in Germany, and their import laws/regulations may be different than ours.

David
David Elliott

Postby LarryD » Wed May 18, 2011 5:38 pm

After 6 years in the Navy I did 22 years with U S Customs. Unless the laws have drastically changed, which they might have since 1995, American goods returning are duty-free. Because of the value, some items still require a Customs entry form to be submitted.
LarryD

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment