Another Baldwin/Harmony clone classical **CHEAP!!**

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Another Baldwin/Harmony clone classical **CHEAP!!**

Postby PhilHunt » Thu May 12, 2011 11:23 am

Chuck,
I'm not sure but I wanna say somewhere in the late 80's early 90's Gibson changed the composite of the material used on the Piezo pickup bridge where the strings rest on. My first '82 CE (that I still have), had a soft nylon material that really made the strings sound good....quite similar to the Prismatone. It also had a green ribbon cable (they later changed it to a small black cable with different wires for each string). They later changed it to a harder texture and the sound changed drastically. My original pickup went bad and I contacted Mike Voltz at Gibson and he sent me a replacement that was a piece of JUNK. It was compensated and and the "V" shape of the pickup was drastic and made the action very high and caused my D string to break all the time. Mike told me I could file it down, so I tried that and it made the volume of the strings way off. I contacted Paul to see what could be done and sent me one that use to belong to Chet, it's like the original. I still have it on my CE.

Rande,
You'll have to contact Sam about pricing for his Prismatones, I don't wanna throw any prices out there.
PhilHunt

Postby Doug_H » Sun May 15, 2011 11:53 pm

Good grief! That Harmony from the first link (http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=7830543) went for $427. It jumped by $300 in the last hours of the auction. I was out of the bidding long before that. lol! I hope someone we know got it and it's in good shape for them.
Doug_H

Postby jay » Sun May 15, 2011 11:56 pm

LOL...that is incredible.
Pretty darn good for a guitar that someone probably donated.
jay kantor
jay

Postby Doug_H » Mon May 16, 2011 12:00 am

Yep. The winner here is Goodwill of San Diego. Good for them! The total after shipping is over $460. After adding a Prismatone along with the bridge mods you're looking at probably a $1200 'experiment". At that price I'll just have to keep sounding like me. ;)
Doug_H

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment