Fender Deluxe Reverb fans

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Fender Deluxe Reverb fans

Postby guitarchuck » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:38 am

The '65 Deluxe Reverb re-issue is getting kind of expensive for a mass produced amp. I think the retail price is somewhere around $1000 now. :shock: It always amazed me that a lot of people will pay big bucks for a electric guitar but they don't want to spend much on an amp. A lot of guys settle for a solid state amp just because it's cheap. When I first started playing guitar in the late 70's I thought solid state was the best because it was the latest technology. I finally discovered that the old tube technology sounds the best. :) Even at the current price I think the re-issue is still worth spending the money on to get a good sounding amp. I'm building one, handwired the old way. The parts alone will cost around the retail price of the re-issue. Weber sells a complete Deluxe Reverb kit for $600, the parts aren't the very best, but they do make a decent kit, especially for the price.
guitarchuck

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:02 am

Has anyone tried a Jensen C12K in a Music Man RD50? Other than the reverb I like the RD50, and I only use a Boss RV-3 reverb-delay pedal anyway, so I was just pondering the idea. There are good reviews I've read about the C12K used in other amps that are impressive, even in a Marshall amp.
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby bill park » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:54 am

smokymtguitar09 wrote:Has anyone tried a Jensen C12K in a Music Man RD50? There are good reviews I've read about the C12K used in other amps that are impressive, even in a Marshall amp.

Hi Ronnie - I've owned several RD50s (in fact, I bought one on Ebay in '98 or '99 from a guy named Chuck Schwickerath before I had made his acquaintance through CAAS!), but never tried anything other than the stock speaker or the upgraded E-V (which I preferred over the stock speaker). But I do respect and appreciate the knowledgable opinions on this board, so I think I'll be trying out the Jensen C12K in my smaller Standel clone amp and report back.
Bill
bill park

Postby gmoseley » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:08 am

.....And a big Hello to you too Al ! Its getting like "old homecoming" in here isn't it? I thought I'd chime in one more time on this discussion. I agree 100% with Chuck about the actual quality of the reverb unit in the '65 reissue - - I completely quit using an outboard reverb unit when playing thru this amp,,,,,didn't need it, the reverb in the amp is much better sounding than the reverb in either the MM or the Peavey D.B. IMHO , I never liked Peavey reverb at all but do like the D.B. w/a 15" JBL D-130 and outboard effects) - - of course, we all know how Chet felt about the MM RD-50 and I heard him play thru it many times,,,,he could get the greatest tone out of it, stock speaker and all !! Of course, the answer to that riddle is very simple (as we all know).....Chet could get a great tone out of screen wire stretched across a washtub,,,,,ITS ALL IN THE HANDS and nobody has (and probably never will have) Chet's wonderful hands and touch, so that's just one of many reasons why guitar and amp choices need to be different for each individual player, we all have our own styles,,,,,the '65 reissue just seems to suit my particular touch and tone, it may not be for everyone. All that said, I still also love the sound of the Lansings, both Altec and JBL. Its sorta like a search for the Holy Grail, we all keep looking for something to top what we currently use, hoping to sound better (I for one, would probably be better off practicing more!)
One other thing which Chuck stated is right on the money.....guys will buy a $3,000+ guitar and never bat an eye,THEN they don't want to pay but $300/400 for an amp - - that doesn't make sense to me, the amp is just as important as the guitar when it comes to getting a good tone. Most of the time you get what you pay for.
So,,,,Bill and Chuck,,,,keep us posted on your amp building and speaker replacement endeavors - - when/if you run up on something that sounds better than that '65 reissue, let me know, I'd love to hear it ! :D
I've enjoyed this chat,,,,been fun!
cul, Gayle
gmoseley

Postby Paul Rauch » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:51 am

I still use a Standel Studio 24 that I bought at a yard sale in the 1960's. I've had several amps; and, I still prefer it.
Paul Rauch

Postby RandeDager » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:38 pm

Jack, you're probably old enough to have bought it new ('65 Deluxe Reverb) and still have been an adult besides! I can say that because I almost am too.

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Postby guitarchuck » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:35 pm

I still have my "65 Fender Reverb Deluxe and it looks exactly like the one in your picture. I've had to have it retubed a couple of times but it still sounds fantastic...Jack

That's great Jack. Those old orignials just keep going up in value. I think the Deluxe Reverb is the perfect size, not too big and not too small for most things. It's been a very popular amp for Fender through the years. It's a really good sounding amp for fingerstyle guitar.
guitarchuck

Postby guitarchuck » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:42 pm

You can even buy one in a stomp box!

The reviews I've read say that the reverb doesn't sound like the real thing though.
guitarchuck

Postby Ray Bohlken » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:08 pm

I bought a used FDR-1 pedal and I took it and my Crate amp with me to my buddy's place for a comparison test, since he has a reissue Fender Deluxe. The pedal has a good sound, but it is not close to the amplifier's sound. I like it for the old style tremolo effect and the reverb is pretty good, but it is not a match for the amp. I get a great tone from his amp and I really enjoy playing through it...makes me sound a little better. I once had a black face Fender Twin from the 60's and I used to enjoy playing through that, too...really good for the Ventures' tone like on Walk Don't Run '64, but that thing weighed a tone and I got tired of lugging it around. My Crate is a 50 watt one with inputs for two guitar pickers and it has on board effects and is good enough for me these days...It's lighter than my friend's Deluxe.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby jimboy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:21 pm

I just purchased a Deluxe Reverb last week. Can anybody suggest some good starting settings for this amp. I play a 6122 Nashville classic. I have some hearing loss and it is difficult for me to get dialed in. Thanks Jim
jimboy

PreviousNext

Return to Guitars and Equipment