Gretsch Country Gentleman Fleur de lis

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Gretsch Country Gentleman Fleur de lis

Postby MountainStanderdTime » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:20 pm

My grandfather willed me a Gretsch C.G. years ago when he died. He played with Chet during the fifties-sixties, and after arthritis mangled his hands it sat like ecalibur in a closet, mint condition. I believe it is a 1959 model, what is strange is the fluer de lis inlay in the fretboard. It reminds me of the accoustic Chet designed. I have never seen one like this. Has anyone else seen this? Is it unusual? Any ideas why it would be unusual? I can's seem to find any info about this.
MountainStanderdTime

Re: Gretsch Country Gentleman Fleur de lis

Postby David Elliott » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:42 pm

MountainStanderdTime wrote:My grandfather willed me a Gretsch C.G. years ago when he died. He played with Chet during the fifties-sixties, and after arthritis mangled his hands it sat like ecalibur in a closet, mint condition. I believe it is a 1959 model, what is strange is the fluer de lis inlay in the fretboard. It reminds me of the accoustic Chet designed. I have never seen one like this. Has anyone else seen this? Is it unusual? Any ideas why it would be unusual? I can's seem to find any info about this.

Hi "MountainStandardTime", (It would be nice to know your name)...
A few questions regarding your guitar:
First of all, why not post some photos, so that we all can see it?

To my knowledge there was never a Country Gent from the factory, with a 'Fleur de lis' inlay on the fretboard, in fact, I had heard that Chet actually didn't care for the Fleur di lis cut-out on the Studio Classics made by Gibson much later.

I wouldn't claim to be an historian of guitars, but if you have what you've described, it would be "unusual" enough that I don't think anybody on this forum has ever seen one! :D

Let's see what you've got!

David
David Elliott

Postby thenorm » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:40 pm

Probably an aftermarket add on. Certainly not a standard Gretsch feature.

If you provide a serial number I can confirm the year of manufacture for you prob'ly
thenorm

Postby Vidar Lund » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:08 pm

Maybe made on special order? Pictures and serial number would indeed help.
Vidar Lund

Return to Guitars and Equipment