Trying to match the Baldwin tone

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Trying to match the Baldwin tone

Postby jay » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:58 pm

Craig,

I have tried recently to contact Sam, via that email address, to no avail. Maybe it is just me...but we have conversed before. He actually hooked me up with a guy in Austin that will do the bridge mod...I hope everything is ok on his end.

jay
jay kantor
jay

Postby craigdobbins » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:01 pm

Jay-

Sam is alive and well, just very, very busy right now. I heard from him via that email address just yesterday, so it still works.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby Frank G T Robinson » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:15 am

Hi, Phil,
Thank you for the information. It was very enlightning.
All the best,
Frank
Frank G T Robinson

Postby PhilHunt » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:28 am

George, this is what I did to my Yamaha. I took blue painters tape (the real wide kind), and taped around the bridge, (to protect surface from getting damaged), then I went to home depot and got the skinniest, sharpest chisel they had. Next, I dremeled and routed out the spot for the prismatone and going practically down to the body of the guitar and leaving almost a paper thin remnant of the bridge. Then, I chisled away and got it squared off to fit the Prismatone pickup. I also had to redrill a hole for the pickup wire to go through. The two wires that come from the pickup are now wired where the other existing pickup was, so I just butt spliced the wires together. Instead of pinning the pickup (since I don't had the intonation adjusting pole pieces or the pins for the pickup), I just put a thin piece of 800 grit sand paper underneath the pickup an it doesn't move at all. I got the intonation set and that's it.
PhilHunt

Postby Frank G T Robinson » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi, Phil,
Thank you for that answer. It was very informative.
All the best,
Frank
Frank G T Robinson

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment