Changing PUP in Super Chet

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Changing PUP in Super Chet

Postby Billy Anderson » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:36 am

I have a '72 Super Chet which I have had modded with TV Jones Classic pups. These give me a much more Gretschy sound, but I am now toying with the idea of replacing the neck pup with a TVJ Super'Tron in an attempt to get more of a Country Gentleman sound (my dream guitar). I realize I'm talking apples and oranges with the SC and the CG but I would appreciate any input some of you technically-oriented folks might have as to whether or not this a good or "Dream the Impossible Dream" idea. I don't want to waste approx. $200.00 (including tech labor) at this time. Please be gentle in your critique. Thanks in advance. Billy
Attachments
Gretsch Super Chet.jpg
Billy Anderson

Re: Changing PUP in Super Chet

Postby thenorm » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:07 pm

My initial thought is, that since a guitar's tone is a sum of all its parts you'll end up with a different tone but it won't sound like a 6122-59 simply because the guitars themselves are built differently.

You should get a slightly mellower, more even tone with the Super Tron but whether it hits the mark you're shooting for only you can tell.
thenorm

Postby guitarchuck » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:46 pm

I have a '72 Super Chet which I have had modded with TV Jones Classic pups. These give me a much more Gretschy sound

That statement makes me curious. I was always under the impression that the blackface Baldwin era Filertron pickups were the same as the earlier Filtertrons. I thought the only difference was the pickup covers. I knew that the Japanese Filtertrons weren't the same, that's why TV Jones started making reproductions of Ray Butts' original design.
Maybe some of you pickup experts can fill me in.
Billy, If Chet's 59 tone is really what you are after, you would better off selling the Super Chet & buying a G6122-1959 Country Gentleman. (I'm talking about the guitar tone, we all know Chet's tone was because he was Chet.)
guitarchuck

Postby Billy Anderson » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Thanks for the info. According to one vintage guitar site's s/n chart, this guitar was made in Brooklyn in Dec '72 so it could be that Gretsch had not quite perfected the model. Then again, they may have been shooting for a different sound. Whatever the case, the guitar had a very mellow, jazzy sound which was far different from the Country Gentleman or any other Gretsch I had played. But I bought it from a friend at a distress sale price just because he needed the money, it was a Gretsch and had Chet's name/recommendation (I thought).

I still have the blackface pup's which measured out at about 4.5. I may have the neck BF put back in just to see what it would sound like in the middle switch position. I probably should have tried that first but I won't be listed in the book of Great Minds of the 21st Century. As for selling the SC and buying a 6122-1959, I couldn't get enough for the SC to cover the $2,800.00, and with a kid in an out-of-state graduate school , coming up with the difference would require something which could get me 7-10 years (could get a call from the White House if I got out early and was rehabilitated). I'll talk to Scott (Tech) and see what he thinks about exchanging the neck pup. Thanks again for your input. If I come up with something approaching a CG, I will so advise. Billy
Billy Anderson

Return to Guitars and Equipment