Altering the tone of your guitar

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Altering the tone of your guitar

Postby Doug Working » Mon May 14, 2018 7:07 pm

I'm pretty happy with my set-up. Can't really complain. Still, at times I wish there was a way to get new tones and colors from the guitar that aren't currently possible. Perhaps enhance the bass, (which isn't really all that strong especially when playing tunes that use Chet's muted, alternating bass style) , or just sweeten the tone a bit. Chet always seemed to have a never ending kaleidoscope of new tones in just about every new record! )

Does anyone have any suggestions for equipment that can be added to my amp or guitar to enhance or alter it?

I'm aware that there is something you can hook up to it to make it sound like an organ, but I want to keep it still recognizable as a guitar, at least for now.
Doug Working

Re: Altering the tone of your guitar

Postby DagerRande » Mon May 14, 2018 10:25 pm

Doug, I have a midi setup for my guitar but most of the instruments sound sort of stupid using them to play Chet's style. I tried playing "Mystery Train" with a flute sound and just about fell off my stool laughing! I think it can be useful to add some single note variety when you're playing with a group. I don't consider it to be much of an enhancement to my solo work. What I do to add fullness is to use my Aphex Exciter and I use a little Roland Microcube that I take everywhere I perform and I plug it into their sound system and ask them to keep their controls flat and neutral and just control my own effects. Here at home I plug the MicroCube into my sound system and I wish I could get that sound everywhere I go.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Tue May 15, 2018 5:29 pm

Aphex Exciter?
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Tue May 15, 2018 9:06 pm

You can look it up on Google. There are also YouTube videos. Unfortunately it isn't made any more but it "thickens" the tone and results in a nice "beefy" warm sound. The red one is for electric guitar, the green one is for acoustic/electric, and the blue one is for bass. It used to be talked about more in this forum a few years ago. Tom Bresh has one and I watched Richard Smith use one a few weeks ago.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Thu May 17, 2018 6:35 pm

Nice beefy warm sound? That sounds right up my alley!

If they are no longer made, maybe I can find one on e-bay or something.

Did Chet ever use one? Like I said, the master always seemed to come up with new tones on each album.

Doug
Doug Working

Postby rkk2786 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:47 pm

No he never used one, he didn't have too! CA used very few effects, just a few throughout the years and you know which ones he used when you hear him playing.

He was more about pickups and amps than effects.

Tx,
Micah
rkk2786

Postby Doug Working » Fri May 18, 2018 7:09 pm

Now that I think about it, you are right!

Doug
Doug Working

Return to Guitars and Equipment