Taylor nylon strings

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Taylor nylon strings

Postby AngusH » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:25 am

Anyone on the board have experience of Taylor nylon string guitars? I'm tempted by an NS24CE I've seen for sale, but I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who's owned or played one.

I currently have a couple of Harmonys (a 173 and a 174) which I love playing, but I'm after something that's more playable further up the neck, and with a cutaway.

Thanks

Angus
AngusH

Re: Taylor nylon strings

Postby Larry Marchino » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:47 am

I have Taylor guitars and I have nylon string guitars, but I do not own a Taylor nylon string guitar. I have played them and generally like them. If you are looking for something with a little narrower and thinner neck than most nylons I think you'd probably like a Taylor nylon. They had a nice one at Carter's Guitars in Nashville, TN when I was there about six weeks ago. I don't remember what they were asking for it though. You might check their web page if you are interested.

Larry
Larry Marchino

Postby jay » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Angus...if you are looking for a true classical sounding guitar, you might want to compare the Taylor to maybe a Ramirez or a similar guitar made by a company that specializes in nylons. I think you will find, that for the same $$$ you will find a richer sounding nylon guitar. jmo. If you are just looking for "playability", I am sure the Taylor would be a great choice.
jay kantor
jay

Postby LMark » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:13 pm

If you can access any, try a couple of models made by Kremona. Ramirez makes great guitars once you get to the R4 level. But these are quite expensive compared to Taylor. LMark
LMark

Postby Tom Workman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:45 pm

I think the Godin Multiacs sound great for the money and one will be my next "guitar-acquisition". Great for fingerstyle IMO. I have a Taylor 414ce steel string that I really like but, don't care much for their nylons. Regards, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Postby AngusH » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:55 am

Hi all - many thanks for the insight, suggestions and advice, it's much appreciated. I had a Taylor GS8 until I stopped playing steel strings a few years back, and it was one of the nicest guitars I've ever owned. Beautifully put together, easy to play and sounded stunning - I'd like to think their nylon strings would be the same, but I appreciate they're not 'true' classicals.

The longer neck and cutaway are the trade-offs I think - and the balance between sound and playability has to be a subjective thing.

I like the idea of a Ramirez but they may be outside my relatively modest budget - and I hadn't heard of Kremona before, so I'll have a look at those.

And if anyone has a Studio Classic for sale (preferably in the UK/Europe) I'd be very interested.

Once again, many thanks :)

Angus
AngusH

Return to Guitars and Equipment