Guitar built by Chet Atkins himself. LOL

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Guitar built by Chet Atkins himself. LOL

Postby guitarchuck » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:35 am

Just when you think you've seen it all!
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F172945682305

I don't know if this guy is trying to rip someone off or if he's just very mis-informed.
guitarchuck

Re: Guitar built by Chet Atkins himself. LOL

Postby Roger Pratt » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:25 pm

I think he just doesn't know very much about guitars and mixed up the part about once being owned by Chet and being built by Chet. I have heard of Woody Hill (he has posted on here before) and I am sure he probably knew Chet (not sure about the good friends part). He may get what he is asking but it wont be from me.
Roger Pratt

Postby Ray Bohlken » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:18 pm

I'm going to watch this sale and see if anyone questions the "facts". It would be interesting to read those answers.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby gmoseley » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:31 pm

WOW,,now that's a real deal. I only wish Chet hadn't inlaid "Gibson" on the headstock when he built this guitar. He did one heck of a nice job though,,,made it look just like a Gibson. Not only was he a genius at playing the guitar, I guess he was also a genius at building 'em! :ugeek:

Gayle
gmoseley

Postby abaggetta » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:43 am

Here's Chet's words on his building a guitar:

"In an interview I did years ago, I remarked that I didn't think it would be very hard to build a flattop classic guitar. Someone read that interview and sent me a build-your-own guitar kit. All the parts and pieces were there, it just needed to be put togehter and finished. I tried my hand at building it, and when I was done, it was terrible. I gave it away just to get rid of it. I've had a deeper respect and regard for luthiers ever since that experience. I found out it's not easy to build even a bad guitar." --Me and My Guitars

Unlikely that he went on to build a Gibson guitar after this.
Al B.
Last edited by abaggetta on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abaggetta

Postby synchro » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:06 pm

The seller probably doesn't have his facts straight, but I notice that there are no bids, as of 11/1/17
synchro

Return to Guitars and Equipment