Chet's Treble Pickup -- 50s

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Chet's Treble Pickup -- 50s

Postby LMark » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:03 pm

Take a look at the treble PUP in this video. What's up with that? The PUP selector appears to be in the treble position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eta0wCb_yfg

LMark
LMark

Re: Chet's Treble Pickup -- 50s

Postby DickThomas » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:42 pm

Sure doesn't look like a stock Dynasonic. Could it be a Ray Butts with greater range than the neck pickup?

Dick
DickThomas

Postby LMark » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:09 pm

I was kind of wondering if it weren't covering up some new thing that Chet and maybe Ray Butts were working on.
LMark

Postby Norm » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:40 pm

I think the pickup itself was on his bench at home, possibly dead from him crushing the magnets to try to make them not "suck the sound" from his playing. Or waiting for a replacement. It looks like a simple piece of plastic to me. He may have had only one model of that guitar at the time, preferring the 6120. He also saw that film session as a chance to sell guitars so he used that one for a few.

The Filter-Tron came about from Chet asking Ray to make a pickup that didn't let the 60 CC hum. Ray thought about it and brought his prototypes soon after. I don't think Chet had any direct hands-on part of the process.

Remember, his D'Angelico was out-of-phase for years. The fix for that is simple. You just reverse the lead wires on one. But if you didn't understand the problem...Chet said he couldn't figure it out until Ray came on the scene.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby DagerRande » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:56 pm

Norm! I haven't heard from you in a while! Your contributions were valuable! I'm glad you're back!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby LMark » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:53 pm

Yes! it is good to hear from you, Norm! LMark
LMark

Return to Guitars and Equipment