CA Studio Classic serial number

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

CA Studio Classic serial number

Postby AngusH » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:06 am

I wonder if anyone can help me with regard to serial numbers for Gibson CA Studio Classics? I've come across one for sale which I'm really tempted by - but the serial number I've been quoted is seven digits, and from what I can ascertain online it should be eight, from which one can find the year and location of manufacture.

Any guidance from the wise heads on here would be much appreciated - as would any other advice on what to look out for, and what questions to ask, when buying one of these.

Thanks in advance,

Angus
AngusH

guitarchuck

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:08 am

Angus, It's probably a custom shop serial number. Gibson doesn't use their standard serialization on custom shop models.
guitarchuck

Re: CA Studio Classic serial number

Postby jay » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:19 pm

Angus, Gibson will (or use to) help you out in determining if the studio is authentic.
You will need the serial and good pictures.
jay kantor
jay

Postby AngusH » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:34 am

Thanks Chuck and Jay - that's helpful. I now have an eight-digit serial number so I'll see what I can ascertain from that.

Am I right in thinking that the Studio Classic (ie the one without the soundhole) is hollow-bodied and therefore considerably lighter than the CE/CEC? I previously had an Epiphone version of the latter and it was very heavy.

Thanks again,

Angus
AngusH

Postby AngusH » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:39 am

Sorry - no idea why that post has appeared three times...

:oops:
Last edited by AngusH on Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
AngusH

Postby AngusH » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:41 am

Thanks Chuck and Jay - that's helpful. I now have an eight-digit serial number so I'll see what I can ascertain from that.

Am I right in thinking that the Studio Classic (ie the one without the soundhole) is hollow-bodied and therefore considerably lighter than the CE/CEC? I previously had an Epiphone version of the latter and it was very heavy.

Thanks again,

Angus
AngusH

Postby guitarchuck » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:27 am

Angus,
Yes, you are correct.

AngusH wrote:Am I right in thinking that the Studio Classic (ie the one without the soundhole) is hollow-bodied and therefore considerably lighter than the CE/CEC?
guitarchuck

Return to Guitars and Equipment