New Delvecchio

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: New Delvecchio

Postby alexjones » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:37 pm

Yes - that retainer ring is a pain in the butt if you don't know the trick. Once you know the trick it's super easy and can be done in about 10 seconds. For the EASIEST way to install the wire retainer you need two people. One persons job is to hold the two ends of the wire together wherever you want to place the splice. The other person will use both hands to work the retainer ring into place. When I had it apart - we tried to do one end at a time - it's just way too difficult. The key is to start with the ends of the wire together and don't move them until everything is snapped in place. I'm thinking that you may be able to face tape the two ends together on the top with masking tape to eliminate the two person setup - but I haven't tried that yet. Always room for experimentation!
Hope this helped.
Alex
alexjones

Postby Douglas » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:16 pm

Alex

Where where you last weekend when I was sweating bullets trying to get that darn ring back in!!! :D :D :D

Doug
Douglas

Postby Douglas » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:54 pm

I've been trying to narrow down when this DV was built. The best I could get from the seller was circa 1960. Based on the photos I'm wondering if it indeed might be earlier than that. Given the expertise on the board here can someone might offer up an informed estimate as to the date of manufacture?

Thanks
Doug
Douglas

Postby bill raymond » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:46 pm

I've removed and replaced the spring retaining ring on my DV numerous times and never found the need for a second person to help. I don't really remember now how I did it, but I might guess that I put one end in place, inserted that half pf the ring into the groove, then placed the other end in place and pressed the remainder of the ring in place--I sort of make it up as I do it and perhaps never did it the same way twice!--but still never a problem, just a bit fiddly.
bill raymond

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment