6122 1959 vs stereo cgp

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

6122 1959 vs stereo cgp

Postby kreh80 » Sat May 28, 2016 8:03 pm

Im finally in a position to buy a good guitar. I have the opportunity to buy a Stereo cgp or the 6122 1959. I love the early sound. Cam the 59 do the same. Will i really use the stereo capability.

I'm sure is been done a ton of times. Any links would be great.

Thank you
kreh80

Re: 6122 1959 vs stereo cgp

Postby Norm » Sun May 29, 2016 1:07 am

"Early sound"

Depends on which songs in your mind define Chet's "early sound"

From 1954 to roughly 1956 most of his recorded stuff used guitars with single coil pickups Mostly gretsch, some D'Angellico and a usually Fender Deluxe amp

From 1956 to 1959 it was mainly the solid top guitar the 6120 CGP. As near as I was able to calculate, his Standel appeared around 1956. The period where he used this guitar he liked to run the split pickup half plain, half effect (echo) He never used it for true stereo effect.

From 1959 onward it was 6122-59 and Standel until Gibson time

Those turn times are rough but reasonably accurate. In most cases echo was added in studio using auxiliary tape deck The Ray Butts echo amp had a noisy splice pop but the aux tape decks did not

On the meter I believe both pickups are about the same on the 6120 CGP On the 6122-59 the bridge pickup is stronger and the fingerboard pickup is, of course, the double bar unit

Arguably his best tone came when he used the 6120 CGP but he left no notes how or when he used the tricks his split pickup allowed but on the other hand the 6122-59 is the one he used pretty steadily for almost twenty years

It's quite a decision to have to make. If it was my money I would get the 59 because I'm not a fan of orange and would never bother using the split pickup tricks in my playing. I have the same bridge pickup on my old single cut gent and an early super tron (double bar) pickup at the fingerboard and my guitar just sings...

...but that's just me.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sun May 29, 2016 9:30 am

I have a Nashville Classic that I enjoy playing very much. One of my buddies plays it a lot, too, and likes it. That being said, I found this used CGP at a Guitar Center at a very good price. I always liked the concept of this guitar and the split pickups, but didn't like the look with the sound hole they tried to depict. I know it looked like Chet's guitar, but I never cared for that look. It's a great guitar, too, by all accounts. Good luck in your search.
Ray

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gretsc ... -Guitar.gc
Ray Bohlken

Postby Steve Sanders » Sun May 29, 2016 11:31 am

Another thing to consider is back in the "early days" Chet played guitars with DeArmond / Dynasonic pickups. Check out the many videos on YouTube with Chet playing "Sandman" and all those other oldies. My advice to you is to play a Country Gentleman AND a CGP if at all possible and then determine which one you like best. Don't get hung up on that "stereo" dilly on the CGP. Look at it like a "secret weapon" or a "tool" that you might not need every single day, but is there if you want or need it. Even without it the CGP is a great guitar. The neck, body, and pickups are unique to it. The Country Gentleman is a whole different story. It WAS Chet's main guitar for a "period" and is probably responsible for his "signature" sound and tone, but for a period of time. Some folks just love the CG and others not so much. They are a little big in body, have a wider neck, and maybe a different scale. The pickups are right on with the Supertron in the neck position and the Classic on the bridge. They are in my opinion the "best" fingerstyle guitar for what most of us Chet-pickers strive for. Thanks to Chet for working with Gretsch for coming up with the original design. BUT, he modified his '59 with different pickup windings and combos. And that is what we have today in the '59 CG. If it hadn't been for dear ol' Paul Yandell and his devotion we would not have today the 1959 Gretsch Country Gentleman or the Gretsch CGP. I don't think he gets enough credit for all he had done. A great big THANKS to Norm for recognizing Paul's value and working hard and tirelessly on his book about Paul. So in conclusion, you have already narrowed the field down to the two very best Gretsches ever made (IMHO). Ideally, buy BOTH and problem solved!!! If you are patient you can find great deals on E-Bay or other places, especially in these hard economic times. Good luck and come back and let us know what you decide and what happens. Steve
Steve Sanders

Postby kreh80 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:46 am

Hi there fella's,

Sorry for the late reply. I was away with work and then the computer flipped out on me. I'll be honest, the money for these guitars is a lot for me. With 4 little ones the option of getting both is a pipe dream. By the time I get to buy both the 2009 CGP will be a relic :D.

Chet's music is what got me to take the guitar seriously. I learned to read, played in bands and orchestra's because of him. I live in oz and there is not a lot of these that come up for sale and I don't have any real opportunity to get hands on with them. I finally got to play a 22-59 and it's lovely. The only thing is, there is a CGP with a few defects for sale that I can't get access to because of the distance, and when I look at the songs of Chet's that really inspire me, and that I love to play, they're all from that mid to late 50's era. Caravan, Sandman, Lover come back to me, Humoresque etc.

I'm wondering if the 59 will get that sound or, if I buy it will I be always wondering if I should have bought the CGP.

Something tells me whichever way I go I will always need both..........

Thanks again

Kurt

Thanks again.
kreh80

Postby nasonm » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:53 pm

Ray Bohlken wrote:I have a Nashville Classic that I enjoy playing very much. One of my buddies plays it a lot, too, and likes it. That being said, I found this used CGP at a Guitar Center at a very good price. I always liked the concept of this guitar and the split pickups, but didn't like the look with the sound hole they tried to depict. I know it looked like Chet's guitar, but I never cared for that look. It's a great guitar, too, by all accounts. Good luck in your search.
Ray

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gretsc ... -Guitar.gc

I guess I waited too long. I had been eyeing that very same used CGP and now it's gone. Oh well, I'll get 'em next time I guess!
nasonm

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:27 pm

Nasonm, I almost bought this one myself...it was a great price and I figured I could sell it on eBay for a little profit if I didn't like it. The thing is, I don't care for those simulated sound holes...the ones on the double cuts look nice and look like they belong...these CGPs just look like something unfinished. I like the concept of the guitar, though, and I'll bet it's a great guitar. Take care.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Norm » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:59 am

Funny thing about getting too obsessive about a certain tone

For years I marveled at that dry raunch Chet got playing "Main Street Breakdown" Thought for sure that was his new Gretsch model and tried to capture that tone on every guitar I had

I find out via Paul years later that and "12h Street Rag" were recorded as a tribute to Django and Chet used that Gibson L- 10 his brother had given him played acoustically.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Return to Guitars and Equipment