Tremolution Palm-O-Low Bigsby arm?

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Tremolution Palm-O-Low Bigsby arm?

Postby Jim Jarrell » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:58 pm

I'm curious if any of the board members have ever tried a "Palm-O-Low" (see url below)? I saw an ad for them
in the latest Vintage Guitar magazine.

http://www.tremolution.com/palm-o-low.html

Intriguing concept. I for one have a heck of a problem trying to use the Bigsby arm on my 6122-58 reissue. And I even replaced the stock one with the thin type arm that's on the '59. But "no way..no day" can I hang on to it and
pick at the same time. Of course, being able to play would help a *lot*!

Cheers, Jim Jarrell
www.tabpigs.org
Jim Jarrell

Re: Tremolution Palm-O-Low Bigsby arm?

Postby jdrpicker22 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:01 pm

Looks kinda goofy to me. I just adapt to what I need to in order to play my best. I got a stationary arm on Samick and it is right where I need it. I had to make minor adjustment over time but it works best for me. Personally I wouldn't buy it just seems like a gimmick.
jdrpicker22

Re: Tremolution Palm-O-Low Bigsby arm?

Postby Norm » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:22 pm

My first thought is it encourages the player to mainly do down-dips which, while colorful at times, gets old. Bigsby called it a "True Vibrato" because you were easily able to waver on both sides of your note just like a singer does.

I foresee the same kind of complaints people make about the other bigsby handles and not being able to get comfortable with them. Since it swivels it moves a lot and could cause problems

Chet used the Vib-Rola on his D'Angelico and his Bigsby on his gretsch guitars quite a bit. You just have to make your body quit treating it like something spooky and learn to lightly allow your little finger to sit on it (talking about the stationary bracket/wire arm here) It can take a little while but once you get used to it you never think about it and later wonder what all the fuss was about...
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Return to Guitars and Equipment