Guitar strings

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Guitar strings

Postby Steve Sanders » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:50 pm

Awhile back fellow ChetBoarder and great Okie guitar picker Chuck Schwickerath put out a heads-up on a super deal from Musician's Friend for Gretsch Chet Atkins guitar strings. I loaded up like a lot of other folks did. These are the "orang-ish" colored package in gauges .011 / .013 / 0.17p - .018w / 0.28 / .038 / .048. Now I have been using D'Addario strings for years because Chet and Paul recommended them and other posters did too. But I gotta tell ya.....these Gretsch strings really made my guitars come alive and sound way more "Gretsch-ish"!!! I have a 6122-1959 too and boy to me it sure sounds a lot better and stays in tune better too! I also have a 5125 that I was about ready to sell because of intonation problems. Well guess what, I'll be keepin' that guitar now. The Gretsch strings really made a difference. Tunes up and stays in tune now. And sounds great with those D'Armond single coil pickups. And the CG 6122-1959, well I really believe it never sounded better, and I didn't think it COULD sound better!!!!! So, get a package and try'em out. Yeah, I know, they might even be made by D'Addario (or not???) but they are "different" somehow. I think you will be surprised. Please be sure and come back here on the ChetBoard and let us all know what'cha think. Merry Christmas!! Steve
Steve Sanders

Return to Guitars and Equipment