Replacement pickup for a "fleur de lys"

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Replacement pickup for a "fleur de lys"

Postby denis » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:37 pm

Hello,

Well, it looks like the Gibson hexpiezo Transducer of my "fleur de lys" is dead. More than anyone else, you guys may imagine how sad i am...
The B string doesn't sound anymore when the guitar is plugged, and after several exeprimentaions with its electronic, it comes for the transducer.

Do you know where i could get a replacement one or who could help me to have this beauty sing again ?

Thanks a lot,

DENIS (France)
denis

Re: Replacement pickup for a "fleur de lys"

Postby PhilHunt » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:14 am

My advice......go with a Barbera or if you can find an Ovation (which is the same as the Gibson). You won't get any assistance from Gibson....nada....zilch....nothing.
PhilHunt

Postby jay » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:34 pm

I think it was Phil that first posted about these folks...by all accounts, it seems like a top notch replacement. Worth a look and consideration.
http://www.barberatransducers.com/guitar_pickups.html
jay kantor
jay

Postby jay » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:04 pm

Sorry Phil...your reply wasn't posted when I made mine...
jay kantor
jay

Postby BillB » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:03 pm

I put a Barbera in my Takamine after Craig Dobbins suggested that I talk to Kirk Sand about the ones that he had installed. Kirk has installed in guitars for John Knowles and Richard Smith. I'll have to say that it sounds much more natural than the Takamine pickup ever sounded. I love it. You might contact Kirk and talk to him since he has installed them on his own guitars as well as Gibsons. He might be able to help you with an extra piece (insert) that will make it easier to install where the wide Gibson saddle resides. I think you'd really like the pickup.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby denis » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:01 am

Hello,

Thanks a lot for the help.
I'll definitively contact Barbera to see if they could help me. I'll also try to contact Ovation, just in case.

DENIS
denis

Postby jay » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:00 pm

I'll also try to contact Ovation

Well, you had better hurry. Since Fender axed Ovations American production, there are only a few folks left in New Hartford, doing repair work. I would imagine the remaining stock of pickups is limited and will be gone, at some point. The person to go through is John Budny. You can contact him at john.budny@kmcmusic.com

If John doesn't have what you need... try Al at Lost Art
alpep@LostArtVintage.com
856-933-0374

imo, the barbera is a superior alternative to the Gibson/Ovation piezo.
jay kantor
jay

Postby PhilHunt » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:25 pm

Denis,
Rich Barbera sells the pickup for $300 plus $40 for the rosewood insert that would go where the original pickup would go. It more than likely would have two wires- one wire would go on ground and one wire would go on one of the six "hot" terminal leads where the original Gibson pickup hooked up. At last we have a Gibson replacement pickup when those suckers die on us!!
Phil
PhilHunt

Postby guitarchuck » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:55 pm

Since Fender axed Ovations American production

I know this is a little off topic but I found this interesting, I didn't realize that Fender had Ovation under their umbrella too. Here's Fender's brands:

http://www.fender.com/brands/
guitarchuck

Postby denis » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:23 pm

Thanks Jay and Gary.

I had an answer from Barbera, and indeed their transducers are about $400 and only have 2 wires.
There is no doubt that they are way better than Gibson's, but i don't have this amount of money :-/

I also did contact Shadows and the confirm me that they were the ones who built the HexPiezo for Gibson. But unfortunately they don't do them anymore and don't have any stock left.

But they build the transducers for Ovation, the model is Shadows SH066-09 and can be found very easily. No need to contact Ovation. They are the exact same size as the Hexpiezo but only have two wires.
So here is another Gibson replacement, probably not as good as Berbera, but esthetically near of the original and way cheaper.

I getting close to think that this is the best solution to my problem, using just one lead of the Gibson preamp six terminals.
denis

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment