small practice amp

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

small practice amp

Postby J Ewan » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Can anyone recommend a modestly priced... i.e. inexpensive amp to use at home with my Gretsch? Thanks
J Ewan

Re: small practice amp

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:16 pm

I would recommend one of the Fender Mustang series of amps (the new v2 versions). They will do a lot more than most amps in their price range. I have the Mustang III v2. It's a great all around amp, great for the living room and also great to haul to anything that I play out at. If you just want a practice amp the I or II would probably work great for you. I think they sound great, especially if you don't mind tweaking the presets. Here's the link to the Fender Mustang page:

http://www.fender.com/series/mustang/
guitarchuck

Postby Ray Bohlken » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:41 am

I have the Roland Micro Cube amp and I really like it. It has several amp models, great effects, and I think it has a good tone, too. You can also use the line out to take its sound into your larger amp to use the effects, such as tremolo, which often is not a feature in many amps these days. It can be powered by AC or battery. I am posting a link to a video which uses one and a link to some details about the amp. Mine is red like the one in the video. I think they may have a newer version out with more features, too.
I hope this helps.
Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA9_-H6s ... e=youtu.be

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/594
Ray Bohlken

Postby alexjones » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:37 pm

I agree with the Fender Mustang recommendation. I have heard good things about them. But if you want to go cheaper you could get a Roland Cube 40 - any of the cubes with a 10 or 12" speaker. I picked up my Cube 40 for $70 off of craigslist. Definitely does not have a huge sound like my Standel does. But you know, I end up using that little amp for my performances. It's portable and it actually has a pretty decent sound. Plus it has plate reverb and delay on seperate knobs so you can have both - or one. For the price - if you can get used, the amp can't be beat. I wouldn't recommend the micro for home playing - to me it's just too small sounding. Let us know what you end up getting! Take care.
Alex
alexjones

Postby Steve Sanders » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:37 pm

I can highly recommend a Fender Bassman 20 amp. It's like a Champ on steroids. If you like Champs but want a bigger, bolder sound then you might wanna check one out. They run 2 6V6's and 2 7025's and here's the best part....they come with a big ol' 15 inch speaker!! Not sure if they are running in "class A" like the Champ. Controls are volume, treble, middle, and bass. Simple! They are closed back and have plenty of tone to go around. They're kind'a hard to find but you can do it if you pay attention and watch E-Bay and Craigslist. Not a 25L15 but for a Fender, purdy close! And not too big to lug around. I got one for when I go to the nursing homes or for special "church singing events" so I don't have to wrestle that big ol' Super Reverb I use in the church services and I sure don't wanna take the Parkel 25L15 out and about. No effects like reverb or tremelo, you'll have to have pedals. But for what it is, I really like it. If you can find one like at Guitar Center (watch out for punk rockers) give'r a try with your favorite guitar. Sounds pretty good for "Chet" stuff. And that's what we all really want anyway!!! Steve
Steve Sanders

Return to Guitars and Equipment