Fender Mustang III v2 Amp

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Fender Mustang III v2 Amp

Postby guitarchuck » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:17 pm

I just bought a new Limited Edition Fender Mustang III v2 Amp:

MustangIIIv2.jpg

The only thing "Limited" about it is the Bright Red tolex.

I've always been a fan of Fender tube amps. This amp is a digital modeling amp. I haven't been a fan of modeling amps, but this one comes really close to the sound and feel of a real tube amp. I had version I of this amp a few years back, but sold it because of the "digital fizz". It wasn't real noticeable playing live with a band, but it was unusable to record with. Version 2 fixed the fizz problem! Sure, it's not a tube amp, but in my opinion it does a really good job emulating one! This amp wouldn't be for everyone, first off you have to be willing to do some program setup to get good sounds out of it. Most of the factory presets are useless, especially for us Chet style pickers. It has some great amp emulations like the "Deluxe Reverb" & "Princeton Reverb". It has 17 amp emulations, but I think it does best with the Fender amp models. It's loaded with effects. Everything is programmable on the amp and through your computer. It has a usb connection to connect it to you computer and you can record direct. Built in tuner that's really handy. For the street price of $329 it's amazing what this amp will do, all in one convenient package. (It also comes in the standard black tolex) If you get one make sure it's v2.

Right now my Standel clone is still my main amp, but this Mustang sure is fun and lighter to carry! This will be my traveling amp for most things!

I'm planning on using it to record a gospel guitar CD sometime in the future. I plan on having my son play the harmonica on it too.
guitarchuck

Re: Fender Mustang III v2 Amp

Postby albertgen » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:21 am

Thats pretty cool Chuck! I don't try many amps anymore. Can you show some pics of your Standel clone? I would really like to get a Standel someday! Very nice to hear from you, Al
albertgen

Postby guitarchuck » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:40 am

Thanks Al,
Here's a photo me with my Standel clone back in 2007 when I built it:

Standel.jpg
guitarchuck

Postby guitarchuck » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:36 pm

When registering my new Fender Mustang amp, I thought it was interesting:

My serial number starts with the letters: CGP! :D
guitarchuck

Postby albertgen » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:16 am

Very nice Chuck! How cool! Al
albertgen

Postby Augie Peters » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:18 am

I agree Chuck.I bought one about a year ago.One of the great things about it is the easy programming.I set up my programs by guitar and music type.Gretsch,Gretsch rockabilly,Early Chet,Taylor nylon etc.I can post my presets on the computer with the included software and USB.Then I can share with anyone interested.There are hundreds of presets in all different styles.You can then tweak them to your own preference.
When was the last time you saw an electric guitar amp with stereo outs or any out that you could run to another amp or a P.A..I replaced the speaker with a neodymium lightweight speaker.Easy to carry around.The best thing is how powerful
and great sounding it is for the price.I have a '69 Twin Reverb and a Princeton 65 DSP. This is the only one I use anymore.
If you are looking for an amp I would highly recommend giving the Mustang III v2 a try. Don't be scared away by all the preprogrammed wild sounds for the younger players.They are easily replaced with your preferences.
Have Fun,Augie :D
Augie Peters

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:39 am

Augie,
The neodymium speaker is a good idea! Another idea is to replace the stock particle board cabinet with a solid pine cabinet. That would reduce the weight too. Although doing these things adds to the price of the amp. It's not bad straight from the factory @ 36lbs. A lot better than the 65lbs of the Super Reverb that I replaced mine with! I did get the 4 button footswitch which also adds to the weight when hauling it around.
guitarchuck

Postby Jim Prater » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:25 am

Has anyone tried the Mustang II V2 amplifier, which is the 40 watt version? Everything appears to be the same except the output. I am looking for something light with a good sound and don't really need 100 watts output.

Thanks,
Jim Prater
Jim Prater

Postby guitarchuck » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:51 am

Jim,
I haven't tried the Mustang II, but here's a link that lists the differences:

http://morethannoise.com/gear/amps-effects/fender-mustang-iii-mustang-ii-comparison/
guitarchuck

Postby guitarchuck » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:02 pm

Jim,
I just noticed that link I posted was for version 1. It may be different for version 2.
guitarchuck

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment