Tru-arc bridges

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Tru-arc bridges

Postby Drail » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:00 pm

Hey guys!

I was wondering which metal bridge material y'all like with Tru-Arc bridges?
I read that Craig Dobbins liked the brass bridge which is the same the stock bridge, although Tim says he likes the copper for fingerpicking! I've listened to the clips on Craig's website, and I'm still torn as to which one I like the most. I would just like to hear a few more opinions on what y'all like and are using. Also, on Craig's website he said Paul Yandell was trying them out too, anybody know which one he wound up using?

Thanks folks!
- Darryl
Drail

Re: Tru-arc bridges

Postby alexjones » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi Darryl,
I have tried the Stainless, Copper and Brass on my CGP and CG. I settled on the Brass for both of them. To be honest it was quite a while ago - so I can't help you with specific differences. I do remember it not being a night and day difference - it's subtle, but there. Just thought I would chime in. The brass sure does sound good. Take care!
Alex
alexjones

Postby Norm » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:38 pm

Mine is brass as recommended by Paul Yandell.

Broadly, what they do is increase sustain and clarity and I imagine they all do that regardless of the composition. How much difference is there in the tone between the different materials I can't say but I believe it would be a personal choice, not one that would amount to a hill of beans to your listeners. The matching of the guitar radius makes the guitar easier to play, too.

The end tone/sound still depends on your practice and execution.

In his final days I believe Paul favored his 6120CGP and I think he had a copper Tru-Arc on it but Micah would know better than I.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby guitarchuck » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:53 pm

I have a brass one that I put on my '59 HOF Country Gentleman, but I never tried any of the others. It sounds great to me.
guitarchuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:11 pm

I did exactly what GuitarChuck did, went with the brass Tru Arc on my 6122 1959 HOF. Everything Norm said is correct in my opinion. Probably subtle differences between the metals. I heard and felt a difference right away, it was money well spent, and I was very pleased. Best guitar I have ever had, and like most of us I've had quite a few as I turn 55 next month.
(And Tommy Emmanuel is in town within a week of my birthday so guess how I'll be celebrating...ha)
Chuck

Postby George Beasley » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:24 am

I've got copper on my 6120CGP, and stainless steel on my George Harrison Duo Jet. Both sound great, and match the radius of the fretboard. I remember thinking they sounded different from the original when I put them on....nothing huge, but a slightly different sound that I preferred, but I have had them on so long I can't remember what the difference was. Maybe one day, I will change back to the stock bridge and listen again for difference in the material, but as of now, I am happy so no need to make any changes.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby Drail » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks for the comments guys, I was leaning towards the brass or copper bridge. I can't remember which one it was now but while listening to the clips on Craig's website, there was one, either the brass or copper that caught my attention. Although like y'all said, it really is a subtle difference, if at all!!

Norm thank you for your wealth of knowledge on Mr. Yandell! You are right though about it being a personal choice, I probably overthink everything I do, especially when it comes to tone stuff on guitars; when in reality it really won't make a difference to anyone but me! But hey, that's what makes it fun!! :D
- Darryl
Drail

Postby craigdobbins » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:06 pm

I do remember Paul trying the copper on his CGP prototype. I'm not sure if he stayed with it or not. I like the brass on my CG. If you have a darker sounding guitar, the stainless steel really helps with treble. To me, the aluminum is more rockabilly sounding, but as Norm said, the big thing is improved sustain and the radius.

Craig
craigdobbins

Return to Guitars and Equipment