Possible Baldwin clone?

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Possible Baldwin clone?

Postby AngusH » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:29 am

I can't speak for the Regal, but if you can get a H173 in reasonable condition with a straight neck and for less than $100, snap it up because they're a lot easier to find than Baldwins...

I bought mine about three years ago and put one of Sam Kennedy's Prismatones on it - I play it almost every day, and it was an absolute steal. (I posted some pics of it on the Chetboard a while back if you're interested.)

Happy hunting.

Angus
AngusH

Postby wcookjr » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:38 am

AngusH wrote:I can't speak for the Regal, but if you can get a H173 in reasonable condition with a straight neck and for less than $100, snap it up because they're a lot easier to find than Baldwins...

I bought mine about three years ago and put one of Sam Kennedy's Prismatones on it - I play it almost every day, and it was an absolute steal. (I posted some pics of it on the Chetboard a while back if you're interested.)

Happy hunting.

Angus

Yours is Clawdia, right? I saw it while doing my extensive research on this site before I decided to bother y'all with my quest. My only concern with the H173 is the headstock; the front of it looks like someone completely wore the finish off and looks like one of my wooden chairs my roommate left outside during a rainstorm
wcookjr

Postby bill park » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:55 pm

Well, for less than 100 bucks you usually get what you pay for. You'll pay hundreds more to have a Prismatone installed, a new bridge, a neck reset, fret work, etc. to get it right, and in the end you'll still have a cheaply-made Harmony guitar that you've invested far more into than it's worth. But I've done that, too...it's crazy what we'll do to be just like our guitar heroes! :?
bill park

Postby PhilHunt » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:36 pm

Actually, I wouldn't buy that harmony, it looks to beat up. I would wait and find a nicer one. You might also try Craigslist in your area. I've bought 2 Harmony guitars in my area from guys who didn't know what they had. I got them dirt cheap and did a little repair work and fixed them up. Most of them just need to be cleaned up, have the saddles shaved down and new strings. I would try to ring a H174, it's a better built guitar than the 173.
PhilHunt

Postby AngusH » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:20 am

Can't really argue with any of the points above, and Phil's right that it's probably worth holding out for an H173 or H174 in better condition as they do come around. It's true the build quality and finish of the latter are better (I now have one of each, both in pretty much pristine condition), but to my ear the 173 (Clawdia) has more depth and better tone. But that may also be because I've played it a lot more.

I'm not going to re-open the debate about what these guitars are 'worth', because it's meaningless. There's really no meaningful correlation between what a guitar costs, and its value to the person playing it. As an example, I sold a $2,000 Taylor GS8 and replaced it with a $108 Harmony H173, and it should be obvious by now which I prefer playing...

Yes, fitting it with a pick-up cost me a bit on top, but it's left me with a unique guitar whose sound I love and which still didn't cost me the earth. That doesn't have a price tag attached.

So happy hunting - I hope you find the guitar you're looking for :D
AngusH

Postby AngusH » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:02 am

AngusH

Postby wcookjr » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:50 am

Yeah I've been watching those two. No way I'm paying $200 for one, but the $0.99 one has potential. I asked for a measurement of the action at the 12th on the $0.99 one and the seller said it was about 2 quarters high, which sounds a bit high to me
wcookjr

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment