Gibson Dove Value

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Gibson Dove Value

Postby Dan Northrup » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:04 am

A friend of mine has a Gibson Dove and it wondering the value and age etc. The serial number is 252650 I would appreciate anyones feedback on this. I know the condition of the guitar will have a lot to do with the potential value, so if anyone knows a price range they may go for depending on condition that would be great!
Thanks,
Dan.
Dan Northrup

Re: Gibson Dove Value

Postby thenorm » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:24 pm

You might google gibson serial numbers to try to get a fix on the age
I found this:

http://www.gibson.com/Files/downloads/b ... UMBERS.pdf

Looks kinda confusing but there it is...

As for value, they were a pretty good guitar as I recall but I doubt anyone is going to stick their neck out and guess with no clue as to condition. Add to that, while a nice and pretty guitar there's the demand factor. Collectors and folk singers might like them but the bluegrass people are the ones who usually pay top dollar for flattops and I'm not sure many Dove's are used or reccomended there but that's speculation on my part.

What you can do is go to gruhn guitar's website. For a fee (and some photos and descriptions) they will appraise the guitar for you. Whether you can get what they say it's worth is another matter.
thenorm

Postby RonBloor » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi Dan... if you follow the Gibson serial link from this page
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/
It takes you to a PDF document at..
http://www.gibson.com/Files/downloads/bluebook/GibsonSERIALNUMBERS.pdf
The serial you gave dates it as a 1965 model.
Doing some google searches with keywords of dove and vintage, yielded some idea, so you might try that.
If you have a good rapport with your local shop, they could probably give you a better idea from their current blue book.
Good luck.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby thenorm » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:49 pm

I agree with Ron.

I just entered Gibson Dove in the google search field and some links appeared saying 'gibson dove for sale' and it ran a lot of different prices.

Condition is everything and unless the thing was virtually untouched since the day it was bought there is no verbal description that I'd rely on to prompt a guess as to value.

It's funny how the same item can look so different depending on if you're the buyer or the seler...
thenorm

Postby Dan Northrup » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:53 am

Norm and Ron,
Thanks for the info! I'll go from there.
Dan.
Dan Northrup

Postby tyguy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:33 pm

It's hilarious to me that when Gibson and Fender "relic"(scratch,mar,create rust,pre-booger,and maim)their gits they sell for more but if we put a dinger in 'em,it devalues 'em!That's a pretty good Gibson year for that Dove and some wear and dingers are expected with something that old."Excellent condition" is not nearly the same for a 45 yr. old git as a 10 yr old git.My '62 335 is only devalued 25% for having a broken headstock(repaired).Model and rarity are the main factors not condition.The exception might be("maybe")if the git was left under grama's bed for 45 yrs.Never played. Good luck selling it.If it's a high dollar git it's usually trades and spot cash. The Best, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby Richard Hudson » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:45 pm

That relicing to me makes about as much sense as buying blue jeans with holes already in them.
Richard Hudson

Postby thenorm » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:01 pm

That relicing to me makes about as much sense as buying blue jeans with holes already in them..."

It's a form of laziness. The illusion the buyer is trying to sell is that because of the wear and tear they are Wise and Experienced people. It's lke trying to buy something that will make people respect and admire you.

They forget that in the dark it ain't how you look that defines you...
thenorm

Postby Mike Nye » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:24 am

If you need an INSURANCE APPRAISAL, get one from George Gruen in Nashville.

If you just want a How much is it worth? value, then go to http://www.usedprice.com
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Return to Guitars and Equipment