Trying to get my guitar education.

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Trying to get my guitar education.

Postby Doug Working » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:48 pm

It's just a hair under two inches. So the guy at the music store was wrong! He told me Epiphone only made one. But there were three?

Doug
Doug Working

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:58 pm

Doug,
Ok, yours is the standard neck width. They also cataloged a 1.75" neck I believe. Yes there was 3, 2 of the 3 were very similar, major difference is the country of manufacture, Korea or China. I think they also made a few with a black finish in the Epiphone model. The other one was the "Studio" model without the fake sound hole, very few were made.
guitarchuck

Postby Doug Working » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:52 pm

Did Chet ever play one? Or was his name on it just an "endorsement" of sorts, more like his stamp of approval so they could sell a bunch?

Doug
Doug Working

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:59 pm

Ok, Here I am to admit, "I'm wrong". Looks like the final version of the Epiphone CEC nylon string solid body electric was made in Korea also! The final version has the plastic smaller knobs and a more yellow finish than the first version. Also, Doug, does yours have a battery?
guitarchuck

Postby Doug Working » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:23 pm

Yes. It requires either one or two 9V batteries.

I'll have to check to see how many.
Doug Working

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:55 pm

Doug Working wrote:Did Chet ever play one? Or was his name on it just an "endorsement" of sorts, more like his stamp of approval so they could sell a bunch?

Doug

I've never seen Chet play one. It was just an endorsement deal. Chet did however play the Epiphone Country Gentleman II on some TV appearances. I think I remember Paul Yandell saying that Chet took that Epiphone Country Gentleman II to Europe once also. He didn't want his Gibson to be damaged on the flights. Chet liked the Epiphone Country Gentleman II enough to perform with it some. He also installed a Bigsby on his with his special Chet Atkins curved rod handle. That says a little bit for the Epiphone CGII.
guitarchuck

Postby Doug Working » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:43 pm

Was the county gentleman 11 an electric nylon? Where can I see a picture of it?
Doug Working

Postby BillB » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:25 am

Doug,
It's actually a steel-string electric with humbucker pickups. It's just a cheaper version of the Gibson CG with a little less decoration. If you Google "epiphone chet atkins", and choose images, you will see pics of them along with pics of the nylon string models like you have.

Hope that helps,
Bill B.
BillB

Postby Ray Bohlken » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:04 pm

I found a coupe of photos of the Country Gent II. I had one and thought it was a good guitar. The neck pickup sounded great, the pickup blend sounded okay, too, and the bridge pickup was not the best in my opinion. Chet certainly got a great sound out of it on Nashville Now a couple of times. His was a red one and looked great. I tried, but could not locate those videos.
Ray

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Chet_ ... ntleman_II
Ray Bohlken

Postby Doug Working » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:06 pm

Wow! Sure is Perty! Looks like the fingerboard joins the body about the 14'th or 15'th fret.
Doug Working

PreviousNext

Return to Guitars and Equipment