Amp Problem

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Amp Problem

Postby Greg Butler » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:32 pm

I have a Fender Princeton Reverb amp (tube) from about 1972. Recently, the volume suddenly increases and after a short time returns to its normal setting. Any ideas about what may be going on? Is this something that could be fixed with a tube being replaced...or should I seek out a serviceman? Thanks!
Greg Butler

Re: Amp Problem

Postby Terry Tolley » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:14 pm

If I found the correct schematic, the 7025 tube (V1) has the volume and tone controls in it. That tube can create this symptom, but there are two capacitors in the cathode circuit of each half of the tube that has a higher likelihood of being the culprit of this symptom.

Somewhat less likely is the first half of the 12AX7A (V3), but there is a capacitor in the cathode circuit of the "A" section that could create this symptom also. Electrolytic capacitors tend to lose moisture over time and can change effective value with temperature and will cause a symptom like this.

Were it my amp, I would change all three of these capacitors. Parts cost is less than $5.00 from the sources I found. From the description, I would say the tubes are O.K., but without making some voltage measurements, that is just a guess.
Last edited by Terry Tolley on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Tolley

Re: Amp Problem

Postby Greg Butler » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:32 pm

Much thanks, Terry!
Greg Butler

Return to Guitars and Equipment