1961 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman amp - Valco

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

1961 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman amp - Valco

Postby Ray Bohlken » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:26 pm

One of these amps is for sale on eBay. I had no idea there was a Chet Atkins Country Gentleman amp. Did Chet ever tour with it or record with it? Was it in the catalog long? I don't remember any discussion about this since I've been checking in here. My memory is kind of faulty, though, so I could be wrong. Has anyone ever played one of these? I'm just curious about whether they sound anything like the amps that Chet is known for using. Here is a link to the eBay listing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Gretsch-Va ... 461c7b6c92

Ray
Ray Bohlken

Re: 1961 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman amp - Valco

Postby Norm » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:40 pm

He probably had one or two during his career and may have used them in the downtown studios when he knew he would be redoing his part at home but I can't recall ever seeing him photographed with one unless they made a signature amp without the steerhead on it. I have a feeling it was a short lived offering by the Gretsch people. Fender pretty much dominated the market.

Chet used all kinds of different amps in his public appearances as many YouTube videos indicate. During the Paul Yandell period he was using amps that had been worked on by technicians. Road amps were always a problem, apparently until the Musicman line came out. Chet liked those because of the way his classical electrics sounded on them and they were just a good amp to begin with.

As we know, from around 1955-56 onward most of his recording was done using his Standell, an amp he seldom took on the road to keep it safe. As far as I know Paul Yandell never mentioned the Valco amps.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Ray Bohlken » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:16 pm

Thanks for the info, Norm.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby PhilHunt » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:11 pm

Here's the Original Gretsch Information on it.
Attachments
$(KGrHqFHJFYFGWM7O,QoBRtmi6,EP!~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16ZHJIkE9qU3k7GiBRtmjJ8ZkQ~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqEOKpYFGVog!nP,BRtmj!bWew~~60_57.JPG
PhilHunt

Postby Ray Bohlken » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:24 pm

Phil, thank you so much for these photos. It is so interesting to find out something like this after all these years. In 1959, I was listening to The Ventures, Duane Eddy, Elvis (Scotty Moore), and Gene Vincent (Cliff Gallup), and I had never even heard of Chet at this point. I had just started to play a few years before this. I didn't hear about Chet until sometime in the mid 60's. It is so great to still be learning things.
Thanks again.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Norm » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:52 am

looking at that ad I think there is at least one photo of Chet in the studio in front of an amp like that. It looks like it's sitting on a folding chair. I think there was at least one near his workbench at home, too.

When people say "Chet Atkins amp" I always envisage the first version which had the Gretsch steer head on it
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Return to Guitars and Equipment