Nylon string question

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Nylon string question

Postby rickyc » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:45 pm

When they refer to hard tension, extra-hard tension, etc., what are they talking about? Is this like higher gauges on electrics? Does extra-hard make it harder to fret?
rickyc

Re: Nylon string question

Postby jdrpicker22 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:12 pm

I'm not totally sure what the tech term is for it but, i preferr higher tension strings for my classical because I play quite hard with my fingers and I like a clear sound. Higher tension string have (like the name) a harder tension and sound clearer and are more resillient to plucking. lower tension strings are kinda "mushy" feeling while harder tension have a little for feel like a steel string. I have had no problems with the neck or anything of my guitar while using higher tension strings, I prefer D'darrio extra hard tension with the coffee coloerd G string. sound fab! Hope it helps.
jdrpicker22

Postby bill park » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:57 am

rickyc wrote:When they refer to hard tension, extra-hard tension, etc., what are they talking about? Is this like higher gauges on electrics? Does extra-hard make it harder to fret?

rickyc -
Nylon string tension is a function of the string's diameter (gauge). A higher tension string set (D'Addario J-44, for example) has slightly larger string diameters than a regular tension set (D'Adarrio J-45).

Click on "Family Tension Chart" of this link for individual string specs...
http://www.daddario.com/DADProductFamily.Page?ActiveID=3768&familyid=26&productname=Pro_Arte

An extra-hard tension can be "harder to fret" on a guitar with higher action, but it depends on the guitar, who's playing it, and what type of tone you are seeking. I often choose a medium, or even a low tension, for Reed-style acoustic nylon playing because it helps create the "funky, flabby" tone I'm looking for. But on a thinner-bodied electric nylon-string guitar (Gibson CE, Kirk Sand, etc), I prefer higher tension. Try different tensions on the same guitar and stick with what feels best to you. Thanks, Bill
bill park

Postby mattburnside » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:40 pm

I prefer the higher-tension or normal-tension strings just because I like a little more fight out of my strings. You may also want to consider polished nylon strings; they grind down the wound strings a bit. This has two side effects; less string squeak and less brightness on the wound strings, which may or may not be what you want. I prefer D'Addario EJ45LP on mine.
mattburnside

Return to Guitars and Equipment