Lenny Breau's Kirk Sand 7 string on auction

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Lenny Breau's Kirk Sand 7 string on auction

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Wow, found out about this on a jazz guitar forum: http://entertainment.ha.com/c/item.zx?s ... IdNo=35046

I wonder how much it will sell for... Is it real?
Dave

Re: Lenny Breau's Kirk Sand 7 string on auction

Postby Richard Hudson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:35 pm

It's amazing to me at how many people have never heard of Lenny Breau. That will probably be the reason that the guitar will not fetch near what you and I would think that it would.

Just a little side note, but a 25% buyer's premium seems kinda steep, but I live a sheltered life down here in the bojacks of Oklahoma.
Richard Hudson

Postby Norm » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Probably a dark story behind how the guitar ended up where it did considering Lenny's self-destructive lifestyle and unsolved death.

Not surprised Lenny is so little known. He's a guitar player's guitar player and even guitarists couldn't really absorb what he was doing
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby gmoseley » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:31 pm

Boys, if that's not IT,,,somebody had made a perfect copy! Kirk and I have talked about guitar many times and I've seen some photos of it right after it was made. There's a couple of videos floating around out there of Lenny playing this guitar but all I've ever seen were terrible in quality,,,,it sounded really fine though,,in Lenny's hands.

Its a shame for Kirk is not to get something out of the sale,,,I don't think he was ever paid all his money the first time around. You guys are right, he is becoming more and more an "unknown" because his career was so short-lived in the music business,,,darn shame, he was one of the greatest to ever pick one up.

It will be interesting to see what it brings . . .

Gayle Moseley
gmoseley

Postby Norm » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:30 pm

It may not sell at all. There's a reserve on it
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby PhilHunt » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:54 am

Here's Lenny playing his Sand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX9re6k9k8c

I'm surprised Kirk doesn't retrieve this guitar.
PhilHunt

Postby gmoseley » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:32 pm

Phil, I had never seen that particular video before,,,that's a much better quality tape than the ones I saw.
You know what a nice guy Kirk is,,I'm sure he doesn't want to make any waves over it. Probably be more trouble than its worth. All that has been so long ago its difficult to bring it all up again, especially with Lenny being gone so long too.

Boy, that Lenny was a trick wasn't he? The main difficulty in playing like that is "hearing" all those subtle chords,,,we can "make" the chords after seeing them but how the heck did he "hear" it to begin with - - that's what always made him so unusual. Man, he had a ear that wouldn't quit! If one is into chord melody, I don't know how you get much deeper than Lenny,,he was pure genius!

Gayle Moseley
gmoseley

Postby John C. » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:18 pm

Including the buyer's premium, the guitar sold for $12,500.

Thanks,

John C.
John C.

Postby guitarchuck » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:03 am

Kirk Sand posted on Facebook that he now owns the guitar! He plans to make a few exact replicas.
guitarchuck

Return to Guitars and Equipment