How did Chet get this sound

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: How did Chet get this sound

Postby PhilHunt » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:36 pm

Speaking of a certain sound with one particular tune that Chet did, I always wondered what guitar Chet used on "Harper Valley PTA". It sounds like he is using a steel string guitar with a Prismatone pickup. It's definately a unique sound.
I have not heard the sound that he got from this guitar on any other tune he did. If only Paul was here, he could probably answer it in a minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtMkaW9uSAU
PhilHunt

Postby John Knowles » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:09 pm

Phil, it sounds to me like steel strings with no Bigsby. I wonder if it is one of the guitars Gibson made about the time the the CEC. John
John Knowles

Postby craigdobbins » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Phil and John, I asked Paul about this one time. Since it's from the late '60's, he wasn't working for Chet as yet. He said he wasn't sure about the guitar, but it sounded like Chet was plugged direct into the board.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby padenmtjr » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:37 pm

Chets sound comes from his hands and touch. The equipment can only give you different tones and effects. The sound comes from the players hands. Chet could take any Guitar and amp I get a great sound. Like a singers voice so is the guitarists hands and touch. Thanks
padenmtjr

Postby Norm » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:23 am

Excerpt from “Paul Yandell, Second To The Best” (my book now in the hands of a publisher.

_________

In order to get hot enough on tape you have to use a limiter. When you record you record as much signal as possible to keep the noise down and without a limiter it’s almost impossible to do it. A limiter is a piece of studio gear that keeps a guitar from having ‘hot notes’ or in other words, loud notes…a spike. It levels the sound, hence the name ‘limiter.’ Chet always used one and I have one that I use when I record. It’s best to use a limiter at all times when recording. It keeps you from overdriving the recorder. … The only time we ever used any limiting was when we recorded. Chet used a LA2A limiter (by Teletronics) and I have one also. They are one of the best ones, I think. I found out, after many years, that part of Chet’s sound was his use of a Teletronix limiter which has a unique sound. He used it from the early fifties. If you can find one used they are around $3000.00.

__Paul Yandell CGP
Last edited by Norm on Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby rhudson » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:50 am

Just like a good tasting cake. Lots of ingredients go into making the final product.
rhudson

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment